We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Read more about our values and culture here.
The security team ensures our technology maintains the high bar that has earned us the trust of millions of users who are buying, selling and storing billions of dollars worth of digital assets in our products. Additionally, we protect the company and its employees from the numerous risks that they face, enabling them to work productively and safely using state of the art tooling. We’re looking for kindred souls who believe security is collaborative and prevention is the only scalable security solution.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will develop deep empathy for employees and other stakeholders, and balance security with business needs based on a “long-term pain minimization” ethic.
- Perform architecture reviews to steer projects in the right direction early, lead security reviews, and develop security ownership of OSes, account systems, and software used at Coinbase.
- Analyze the business opportunities, vendor solutions, and potential implementations with the engineering teams to provide feasibility and cost inputs. We'll rely on you to determine the security robustness requirements of the problem, and the capability of a given solution meeting those requirements.
- Make and own security policy to balance employee productivity and desired tooling, project feasibility, risk, cost, and other tradeoffs as appropriate.
- Full-lifecycle secure development support for the teams you're working with. This is not a documentation review and generation function as you'll be expected to drive security outcomes in implementation and technical operations.
- Grant and manage security exceptions to closure while maintaining a strong “customer-centric” communications ethic.
- Make decisions around the declaration and management of security incidents relevant to your area as appropriate. (This is not an on-call role, however.)
- Create threat models for systems you’re responsible for, and leverage them to prioritize time based on risk impact.
- Educate and train teams on security topics and skills to extend CorpSec’s reach by deputizing other employees to help themselves.
What we look for in you:
- Our hiring process tests your competencies in our core technical skillset as described in the ‘what you’ll be doing’ section. Having a history exhibiting high quality execution in our core competencies will help your case.
- Comfort and speed in understanding the technicals of many disparate platform technologies, our implementations of them, and how they fit into the larger enterprise and security architecture.
- Security experience related to large SaaS platforms such as Salesforce, Mulesoft, Adobe EM, Netsuite, etc.
- We expect you to be capable of shifting between architectural reviews, writing policy, consulting with engineers or managers, and writing and speaking eloquently and persuasively.
- Drive organizational change to ensure that Coinbase remains at least one step ahead of our attackers, managing upwards and cross team as appropriate.
- Software engineering experience in addition to Security experience.
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in a high security and/or highly regulated industry. We would love to have you take the essentials of what you’ve learned and apply them to the unique challenges Coinbase faces in Digital Assets.
- Salesforce, Mulesoft, and other common enterprise software platform and implementation experience
- If you’re fluent in Digital Assets, you’ll have less to learn about the fundamentals of our business, but we do not decline candidates who are not fluent.
- If you have open source application security tooling to your name, we’d love to take a look and understand what problem you are solving and how your solution works. We heavily encourage Open Source contributions!
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to review all of our job postings to minimize biased language. Coinbase does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $170,850 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how your data will be processed as part of the application procedure for application locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.