Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As an Application Reliability Engineer, you’ll tap into your passion for finding and fixing inefficiencies to solve our reliability and performance issues. In our Agile environment, you’ll focus on availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change and problem management, monitoring, emergency response and capacity planning of our services. Your projects will deliver enhanced infrastructure, development, and deployment automation at Discover.
In our Payment Services Technology area, we are rapidly expanding our Service Reliability Engineering (SRE) team. You will be empowered (yes, empowered) to apply software engineering techniques and discipline to production operations and help us delivery the world’s greatest solutions. If you are the type of person that loves driving technology problem solving sessions; has a tireless passion to increase the resiliency and availability of software products serving the greatest Customers and Partners in the World; we believe our SRE opportunity will allow you to be the superstar of all superstars!
To be clear, the position is responsible for the provisioning, availability, performance, and end to end customer experience for our Payment Services platforms. You will also be deeply involved in system roadmap planning and release management activities as well. Overall, you will become a rock star subject matter expert on the operation of these world class core systems powering our great Fortune 300 Company (which really operates like a startup). Additionally you will promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
To be successful (and we know you can), you will need to have a strong understanding with work experience in cloud based and virtual system infrastructure and peripheral services including network, firewall, and database management. We also need you to understand the application development and quality assurance ends of the spectrum as you will need to interface with that crew as well.
Sounds awesome doesn’t it? We think so but we ultimately need you to make this a reality. You will be exposed to the latest technologies in the Industry while helping us create the next generation of Payment solutions (mobile payments, remote commerce, IoT payments, etc.). All cutting edge and you have the opportunity to be right in the middle of it. Motivated by leading your work vs. following a checklist, enjoy advocating for and driving change as well as inventing features or projects that solve a business challenge. Join our team. Do not hesitate as the naming rights to this team are still open to the early hires!!!
- Analyze, design, program, test, and deploy new user stories and features with high quality (security, reliability, operations) to production
- Tends to Associate Application Engineers by providing learning tasks as well as work related tasks, directs the work of Senior Associate Application Engineers, and helps them continue to grow
- Achieves team commitments (and influence others to do the same) by using informal leadership & highly developed communication skills
- Has an oversight on design decisions and guides team to achieve key results for products assigned to them
- Remediates issues using engineering principles and creates proactive design solutions for potential failures
- Contributes to and leads technology communities at Discover
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors – Computer Science
- 4+ Years – Information Technology, (Software) Engineering, or related
- Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of competent on the Dreyfus engineering scale
Bonus Points If You Have:
- 1 year application development (strongly preferred)
- 5+ years’ experience in technology (Either Systems/Architecture or Infrastructure Services/Support)
- Solid communications skills to work with our business users and internal BT support teams
- Experience developing and documenting solutions, processes and issues (Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Excel) and be able to present and facilitate technical discussions
- 4+ years of experience in technology, or related field
- 5+ yrs. experience working in a technology environment (preferably Agile)
- Ability to work on and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Extensive working knowledge of Linux/UNIX and write bash/shell scripts
- Understand the concepts of Continuous Delivery and Lean/Agile
- Skilled in task automation, continuous integration and delivery (test automation, release management, DevOps)
- Hands on experience working with Chef, Jenkins, Gradle, Nexus, Git, Application Dynamics, and SonarQube
- Proven ability to enhance, support kafka, postgres and/or similar technologies
- Ability to innovate and implement new technologies
- Experience in infrastructure, metrics, reporting tools integration, application development ( java, scripting languages)
- Familiar with cloud-based IaaS and PaaS solutions (AWS, Cloud Foundry)
- Demonstrates the ability to work well in a team environment
- Proven ability to deliver high quality, detail-oriented documentation
- Flexible team player with a hyper focus on the customer
- Strength in adapting to a highly dynamic environment of change as needed
- Perform trend analysis of system logs, application logs, history reports, audits, performance management data, et cetera. to identify performance issues and drive improvements to ensure optimal performance
- Ability to travel as needed, domestically and internationally (less than 10% annually)
External applicants will be required to perform a technical interview
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
And by the way, while you're waiting to hear from us, don't forget to check out the great benefits Discover offers.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.