Actuarial Associate at Hippo Insurance
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Reporting to: Manager, Actuarial & Risk
Title: Actuarial Associate
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that isn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
You are creative, self-motivated, and eager to tackle problems in a fast-paced startup environment. You have a strong understanding of the data and techniques utilized in the actuarial and insurance industry - and are eager to innovate them. You’re able to identify and balance solving the long-term vs. short-term goals of the company by leveraging data-driven results. You are a highly effective communicator and have the ability to define processes that are modern and robust.
*P&C Insurance experience is a must
- Own all stages of the insurance data flow to the actuarial & risk team, including data pre-processing, engineering, governance and validation, and reporting.
- Improve our data infrastructure to support actuarial and underwriting analyses, including loss cost modeling, reserving, trends analysis, and pricing.
- Create processes to ingest and manage external data across industry reports, benchmarks, and third-party vendor models and tools.
- Assist in designing modern statistical models using internal/external data to identify drivers of loss cost, frequency, and severity to help influence pricing and underwriting decisions.
- Lead the coordination of actuarial & risk team’s data needs and governance alongside the data engineering team.
- Lead periodic reviews and create consistent reports for different stakeholders, using data visualization or BI tools.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in the P&C insurance industry.
- Personal lines Homeowners experience a plus.
- Pursuing Actuarial Exams under CAS track
- Strong knowledge of insurance data concepts such as premium, claims, expenses, and loss development.
- Knowledge of actuarial concepts such as trends, indications, loss cost modeling, reserving and other key metrics.
- Proven statistical, analytical, and mathematical skills with ability to conduct analysis on limited and/or unstructured data.
- Professional experience using SQL or closely related database manipulation language.
- Professional experience using R, Python, or closely related programming language.
- Experience with data visualization or BI tools.
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction.
- Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, economics or a related field
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.