By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Medium’s mission is to help people understand their world, while crafting a level playing field that encourages ideas that come from anywhere. This mission hinges on Design. Designing a product that helps curious readers discover and enjoy the stories that matter to them. Designing an experience that is worth paying for. Designing a system that supports and rewards quality writing.
We are looking for a VP of Design to grow and lead our talented team of designers. This position requires a highly collaborative design leader who is comfortable leading big-picture thinking...and sweating the details. You’ll work with Medium’s executive leadership to help define how Medium can best serve the needs of readers and writers around the globe, and you’ll help your team collaborate with product managers, engineers, and data scientists to craft the elegant product experiences for which Medium is known.
You have at least 12-15 years of professional design experience, with at least 5 years building and managing design teams working on consumer internet products. You pride yourself in your ability to identify and nurture design talent, and set your team up to do their best work. And you love working cross-functionally to ship great products. You can envision big ideas for the future, and can also define the steps to get from here to there.
What will you do?
- Manage and develop a team of design directors, product designers, user researchers, design technologists, and brand designers by setting clear goals, matching designers with the appropriate product teams, and ensuring that your team has what they need to be successful.
- Guide the team to develop and evolve best practices for product design at Medium.
- Recruit new designers and actively participate in the hiring process for product design, brand design, and other roles within the company.
- Work closely with Medium leadership to envision the future of the Medium user experience, and make it real.
- Collaborate with product management, engineering, research and data science to ensure a smooth and reliable product development process.
- Lead marketing designers to create compelling and consistent brand messaging and visuals.
Who are you?
- At least 5+ years managing design teams working on consumer internet products, experience on media or content-related products a plus.
- Fluency in UX best practices in mobile and web applications.
- Experience working with cross-functional product teams (design, research, product, engineering, data science).
- Familiarity with agile product development processes.
- A strong portfolio of design work demonstrating end-to-end product design on products at varying points of the product life cycle.
- Experience guiding brand design and collaborating with marketing colleagues.
- A real passion for Medium’s mission.
Sound like you? We'd love to hear from you.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Read Full Job Description