As a UX Design Manager for Nordstrom, you are a servant leader at heart and a solid team player who sees collaboration as a key to your own success - when others win, you win.
You are adept at thinking holistically about the user experience and helping to guide tactical feature-level work in partnership with UX Leads on your team, while looking for opportunities to make space for your team to explore strategic improvements for our customers and internal employee teams.
You understand how to leverage the power of storytelling to present a compelling vision and design rationale to senior stakeholders in UX, Business Strategy, Product Management, Engineering, and Digital Merchandising. You recognize that supporting individual growth and working toward operational excellence fosters a happy, healthy team with the space to do their best work.
And who are we? The Nordstrom UX team is a human-centric organization that sits within Nordstrom's Digital Organization. We use empathy, data, and adaptability to fall in love with the customer or employee problem. We connect people and amplify ideas. We seek simplicity in everything we create for partners and customers. We think big while keeping an eye on the nuanced and iterate as needed. Ultimately, we work to achieve our digital vision: to make digital personal with experiences powered by connection, convenience, and choice.
The customer is our compass, but not our only focus. We support efforts across JWN that improve our employee experiences and retail operations that give Nordstrom the ability to deliver on our brand promise.
Your role will be to...
- Support individual and team growth
- Support individual and team growth by recruiting and hiring new employees while guiding, supporting and celebrating current team members' career growth and accomplishments
- Guide your design team's work in partnership with other UX leaders in your space
- Foster solution-oriented problem solving with your team and partners
- Anticipate needs on your team and flex to fill in the gaps when needed to help the team accomplish a design goal through things like: creating customer journeys, drafting UX plans, reviewing design work and encouraging new approaches to design problems
- Support your team's operational excellence
- Inform work priorities to balance product, strategy, and operational opportunities
- Encourage and support efforts to use frameworks, templates and documentation practices
- Guide performance and talent calibration activities
- Partner with other UX Managers on UX Org initiatives
- Work side-by-side with other UX leaders and managers to grow our UX strategy capabilities, and to provide guidance on key priorities and initiatives
- Contribute to the UX organizations focus on craft and innovation
- Be a User Experience thought leader within the company
- Foster a culture of data-driven design thinking & continuous learning
- Develop relationships with critical business, product, and engineering partners
- Advocate for and educate partners on the value of human-centered design activities, inclusive design and the UX studio model
You own this if you have...
- Experience in leading UX designers, developing, implementing, and governing the design process and providing feedback on the work
- Track record of leading and cultivating talent in others, and a clear philosophy on embodying servant leadership
- Ability to independently research and resolve issues using appropriate resources flexing and adjusting to support your teams when there are gaps as the design team shape changes
- Experience working in a cross functional team environment preferred
- 8+ years' experience designing and delivering UX design solutions preferred
- 1+ years supporting a team of 3 - 5 UX designers preferred
- Clear and effective communication and strong interpersonal skills
- A portfolio of relevant UX design case studies, that tells the story of your approach to UX design, guiding a team, and influencing stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree in relevant UX field or equivalent experience
We've got you covered...
Our employees are our most important asset and that's reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It's not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2021 Nordstrom, Inc.
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.