Senior UX Designer - Classroom (USA Remote) at Turnitin
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. You'll join our diverse community of colleagues who are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. So come join us and begin the most gratifying next chapter of your career.
For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Our products are used by educational institutions and certification and licensing programs to uphold integrity and increase learning performance, and by students and professionals to do their best, original work.Job Description
The Senior UX Designer role focuses on user-centered design efforts and the communication efforts in relation to user problems and solutioning.
In this role, you will work closely with other UX designers, researchers, product managers, data and machine learning scientists, engineers, educational experts, writers, and marketers to iteratively design and deliver a exceptional end-to-end user experiences — serving millions of students, instructors, and academic professionals in the global online education space.
This person is responsible for understanding the user journey, identifying pain points, and designing solutions to address them. UX Designers are engaged throughout the product lifecycle, from discovery/ideation and research, through implementation, as well as the continuous improvement of the product.
Our ideal candidate has a track record of leading design projects through the full design cycle to successful outcomes for both users and the business. They would also have rich experience in at least one of the following areas: moderated and unmoderated testing, rapid prototyping, and/or data visualization.
Research and Discovery
- Own and contribute during discovery, planning, design, development, testing, implementation and the continuous improvement of your product
- Collaborate with product managers and user researchers to plan and execute a variety of research and data collection methods to shape and validate solutions that solve real user problems.
- Understand Turnitin’s user and business needs and how to prioritize design work based on insights gained from qualitative and quantitative research.
- Create simple-to-complex prototypes that cover numerous interactions and scenarios.
- Synthesize and communicate insights in succinct concepts and metaphors. Inspire and persuade stakeholders and the wider organization through well-executed visioning.
- Collaborate closely with other parts of the organization to balance design ideas with technical possibilities.
- Leverage low-fidelity design methods to efficiently communicate ideas; e.g. workflow maps, low-fi sketches, and wireframes.
Usability and Implementation
- Deliver full lifecycle of designs that support the implementation and release process, e.g. high-fidelity visual design specs, motion prototypes, accessibility or edge case documentation
- Conduct usability research and other forms of data collection to drive iteration and ensure best-in-class usability.
- Iterate on designs based on UX review, stakeholder feedback, and developmental constraints
- Help to establish, document, and evangelize UX best practices, governance, and processes
- Define accessible, inclusive, and highly-usable interactions without sacrificing aesthetics.
- Provide feedback to engineering teams during implementation to ensure designs are built to spec. Uphold and push for design quality—with a deep appreciation for details.
- Contribute to the evolution of Turnitin’s design system and interaction pattern library by adding to and regularly improving our core stylistic guidelines, components, and interaction models.
Ownership and Communication
- Inspire and help cross-functional team members build and operate with strong user empathy.
- Drive and facilitate ideation and collaboration among cross-functional team members to elicit ideas and cultivate shared understanding.
- Support Turnitin’s commitment to world class design by providing regular, constructive critique to other designers in design reviews.
Ultimately, you’ll be focused on what you do best and have many opportunities to grow in new directions.
Qualities we are looking for:
- You design with an understanding of business needs and strategy.
- You can conduct stakeholder meetings and follow the full UX design process with emphasis on leading the UX design direction.
- You care tremendously about hearing from users and using their feedback to help guide your work.
- You are passionate about the balance between strong usability and world-class visual design.
- You understand and enjoy the experimental and iterative nature of product design teams.
- You can adjust to changing focus, priorities, and tasks.
- You can work independently and meet deadlines.
- You have strong communication and presentation skills, written and verbal.
- You are an empathetic teammate and cross-functional partner.
- You have a bias toward action.
Must provide a relevant design portfolio for consideration. Your portfolio should include case studies that describe your process and the impact of your work, showing how you design for user needs and iterate on those ideas based on user feedback, engineering constraints, and stakeholder desires.Qualifications
- Experience as a UX designer, product designer, or related role.
- Fluency in design and prototyping tools. (We use Figma and Miro.)
- Great eye for design, with a strong understanding of both UX/UI design disciplines
- Experience with the product development life cycle, conducting user interviews, prototyping, and designing for multiple audiences and devices
- Strong facilitation and communication skills
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.