Senior Product Designer at Civis Analytics
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
All employees either must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, initiate vaccination before your start date, or file an exemption request prior to start date per company policy for review. Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and employees are remote until further notice. This is being closely monitored as the situation evolves. Although it’s likely our offices will reopen, positions hired outside of Civis office locations will be remote roles.What we are looking for
You’ll work collaboratively alongside engineers, data scientists, and product managers in a highly custom category of software. You’ll be welcomed by coworkers who default to a focus on function over form and who value your ability to increase the impact of our product on customers’ needs through great design. You’ll join a supportive and fun design team but will ultimately be responsible for shaping, leading, and executing the design process within your area of responsibility.
You will build incredible user experiences and a best-in-class user interface for a mature, complex, and growing software product.
Here, you will use empathy artifacts, research and testing techniques, user flows, lo-fi wireframes, hi-fi design specs, and other tools in your design toolkit. You’ll join the design team’s work in evolving and implementing a design system, and will be charged with making the world of big data easily comprehensible to the non-expert. You'll be working on a variety of design challenges, often with custom and creative design solutions required, and will be involved in every phase of feature development including research, ideation, implementation, and iteration. At Civis, you will get to help shape the future of big data and work with wicked smart and passionate people.
Join us & help build the first great data science software platform!Responsibilities
Create best-in-class user experiences
- Understand customer problems and business needs across our product and service ecosystem and how your area of responsibility fits in
- Evolve and simplify our products by conceptualizing original ideas that help our customers get their job done more efficiently with better outcomes
- Zoom in and out to solve problems at a system, feature, and component level
- Apply the latest behavioral design principles and frameworks that activate, engage, and retain users
- Create high-fidelity prototypes that illustrate key future-state experiences to influence the strategy and design of the product
Work collaboratively with your product team
- Identify design needs and craft the scope of design work required within your area of responsibility, then work closely with product managers to prioritize this work
- Collaborate closely with engineers and product managers throughout the design process to bring the team along with you and accommodate any constraints as you create
- Clearly articulate and explain design decisions while evangelizing the value of design thinking and user experience as a second-nature practice in your daily work
Participate in every phase of feature development
- Help research, plan, and design the appropriate experiments to test hypotheses about customer value, whether that’s concept, usability, or A/B testing
- Use a breadth of synthesis tools to generate empathy, communicate insights, showcase opportunities, and inspire stakeholders
- Collaborate closely with engineers to understand and accommodate technical feasibility for build-out of the designs
- Overdeliver high quality design to establish exemplary standards for design output
Mutually support your fellow designers
- Provide thoughtful feedback to help other Product Designers improve their design decisions, skillset, and output quality
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices, and standards; give insight into new design technologies
- Contribute to and help manage a design system to improve consistency and efficiency of our design and engineering output
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, a related subject, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience doing Product Design work
- Experience working on a cross-functional product team to collaboratively design holistic user experiences
- Experience in practicing a user-centered design approach for B2B software products
- Demonstrated ability to move between problem framing, design research, conceptual explorations, and usability testing
- Experience planning, conducting, and synthesizing user studies and usability testing
- Experience creating empathy artifacts, information architecture artifacts, and conceptual design artifacts for stakeholder buy-in
- Experience creating high-fidelity interactive prototypes using tools such as Figma, Invision, or Sketch
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of experiences you’ve designed
- A portfolio of representative work demonstrating the above skills
- US work authorization
- Previous experience designing products for data and marketing organizations
- Experience in data visualization and/or background in scientific/data fields
- Experience evolving and maintaining a design system
- Front end development skills (HTML, CSS, JS, React)
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW