Almanac is building an operating system for distributed collaboration to help remote teams get work done without needless meetings and distracting messages.
Almanac's collaborative doc editor helps distributed and hybrid teams cut Slack, email, and meetings by 80%-so you can reclaim a full day each week to focus on what matters.
Hundreds of teams from 2 to 2000 are already using Almanac to collaborate on docs, organize documentation, and streamline processes as they scale.
That's where you come in: we're looking for a passionate, seasoned designer who wants to make a big impact as we grow Almanac's surface area and scale it to millions of users.
About the role
Design is at the heart of Almanac. You'll be responsible for realizing our vision to build a cloud-native alternative to Microsoft Office that reinvents how work gets done.
You'll own core pieces of our ambitious roadmap, carrying exciting features from vision through to execution and launch. You'll be responsible for prototyping and testing new ideas, while also sweating the details to ensure we set the standard for our industry. Finally, you'll help us build out the culture of a humble, smart, collaborative design team that becomes our secret weapon and the envy of our competitors.
Almanac's Design Team Values
- Simplicity above all
- Build tooling to support how humans get work done
- Be pulled by customers
- Focus on the details
- Become the benchmark
What you'll do:
- Own major feature areas, collaborating closely with Almanac's leadership to define the strategic direction and near-term feature set.
- Design sketches, wireframes, flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity UI for your features.
- Work cross-functionally with product and engineering partners to represent our design values, solicit feedback, facilitate design discussions, and ensure product quality.
- Collaborate with Engineering to ensure high-quality handoffs, implementation, and final user experience that exceeds expectations and delights users.
- Provide feedback and join efforts to continually improve our design processes.
- Interview new designers and actively advise on our design hiring process.
- Lead by example-do phenomenal work and help people on the team learn how you do it through mentorship and coaching.
Experiences that make you stand out:
- 2-5 years of designing products with elements of team collaboration, productivity, or platform complexity.
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing a strong foundation in information architecture, sophisticated UX patterns, and elegant visual design.
- Tenure at early or growth-stage startups that sold to both individual users and enterprise customers.
- Prototyping to explore and convey design solutions to product managers and engineers.
- Working and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment.
Skills that make you extraordinary:
- A commitment to excellence in everything you do: you relish exceeding your team's expectations by delivering continually amazing work.
- A preternatural ability to make complex things simple.
- A devotion to user research and interest in building around what people want and need.
- A love for the details: you enjoy the small polish work required to nail the big idea.
- Comfort collaborating with product managers and engineers to develop your designs.
- A strength around moving fast and doing what it takes to achieve your goals.
- Excellent written skills (critical in our async-first culture!).
Working at Almanac
At Almanac, we're looking for structured thinkers full of passion, ambition, and kindness. We'd love for you apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your experience, skills, and interests will help you stand out-especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Almanac, we welcome people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives who aren't afraid to challenge the status quo. Join us.
At Almanac, we:
- Are fundamental optimists who believe we're still only at the start of the digital age.
- Go to extraordinary lengths to distinguish ourselves through world-class work.
- Prioritize quality over speed, and speed over scope.
- Desire working with deeply kind, mission-driven people.
- Strive to make the complex simple.
- Use first principles to debate ideas, test assumptions, and make decisions.
- Seek the truth by putting data above opinions.
- Assume good intent and give tactical feedback to help each other get better.
- Hold no ego-when our customers win, we all win.
As a company, we are seriously committed to your professional development and growth:
- You will set your own monthly goals aligned with our ambitious strategy
- You will have our collective support in achieving major wins-and personal coaching from your manager
- You will be able to request and manage your own budget
- You will be encouraged to take risks, try new things, and be creative with your work
- You will have many opportunities to exchange and engage in feedback
- You will be offered continual chances to stretch yourself and raise your own bar
- Helping a small company grow 30%+ month-over-month
- You will be rewarded for achieving excellence and mastery
Interviewing at Almanac:
It's our goal to provide an efficient, transparent interview experience that respects you and your time. Our roles typically have a four stage process and we like to move through those as quickly as calendars allow. After submitting your application you will hear from us whether you are a strong fit for the role or not! From here you can expect:
- An initial screen with our recruiter
- The opportunity to meet our lead designer, Ivan
- A design exercise and review with the team
- A leadership interview with our CEO, Adam
Your time is valuable, so we try to give you as much information as possible throughout our process to make the best decision for you. To start, here's our open source company handbook, which contains docs about our vision, our virtues, our compensation philosophy, and our approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Apply for the job
Do you want to join our team as our new Product Designer? Then we'd love to hear about you!