Product Designer (Remote) at Quora
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]About Quora:
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.About the Team:
Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing, and the platform for businesses to reach our audience, requires a multidisciplinary approach. To deliver our mission, we are designing systems that make knowledge sharing rewarding and discovery easy, while scaling to support the participation of the entire planet. We're building a diverse team with people of different backgrounds and experiences, empowered to shape strategy.
Our designers leverage what they learn about psychological and social dynamics, communities and networks, and systems and policy design, in addition to more typical design skills. Product design plays a significant role in impacting product strategy directly. Designers at Quora work on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems, design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure. We pursue candor, holism, and awareness in our work.About the Role:
Quora designers are strategic minded generalists who code. As a technical product designer, you'll be responsible for what you design from start to finish because designers at Quora control the interface — they have a central role on every product team. This not only ensures the right solution is being designed, but that the right problem is being solved. As an integral part of that structure, you will be embedded in a product team focused on a major, user-facing area of Quora.
We value rigor and empathy in equal measure, both are essential to democratize access to knowledge. Designers reason through complex product decisions, developing an opinion about the right solution in a given context. We collaborate closely with peers on cross functional teams to carry out solutions, implementing our own designs in code. A product designer will prototype, iterate and ship new features, work on bug fixes, and make product improvements all in a week.Responsibilities:
- Identify high-impact opportunities for your product area, design features in pursuit of business goals, and clearly communicate decision rationale.
- Navigate ambiguity and drive ideas while building relationships with peers.
- Collaborate with engineers to develop designs to scale globally across platforms, with designers for feedback and critique, and with data scientists and user researchers to evaluate the impact of your work.
- Design interactions for new features, applying or contributing to a design system as appropriate.
- Work independently and quickly on multiple projects.
- Utilize React to build what you design.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- Portfolio demonstrating digital design capabilities across apps and other platforms showcasing effective interaction design and strong visual design.
- 2+ years experience designing products with clear, effective interactions to accomplish business goals.
- 2+ years experience shipping production-level code in front-end technologies: React, HTML, CSS and JS
- Designed and shipped multiple product features, either building from scratch or iterating significantly on what existed.
- Ability to reason at a strategic level about a complex, social product and update perspective with new learnings.
- Demonstrated record of using data and/or user research to inform and evaluate design solutions.
- Interest or experience in designing for scaling products.
- Experience with effective A/B testing and metrics driven environment.
- Delivered high quality mobile experiences for social media products.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure