Product Designer (Phoenix, AZ OR Remote) at Trainual
| Phoenix – Mesa – Scottsdale, AZ
Sorry, this job was removed at 3:56 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, August 17, 2021
Trainual is a team of 50ish super talented folks obsessed with making small business easier. And while our team members come with diverse experiences, we’re united by our passion for making ideas happen. We launched the world’s first playbook tool in 2018, and today, thousands of companies in nearly every industry use it to scale their teams.
We’re a great place to work. AZCentral named Trainual the #1 place to work in Arizona. And Inc recognized us on their 2021 Best Workplaces list. But we can’t say we blame them. We’re a hybrid team with an unwavering culture that recognizes everyone’s impact matters.
We’ve got benefits on benefits. Above market pay, an annual experience fund, 4 weeks paid vacation (plus 5 sick days), the latest tech, parental leave, 401k matching, free One Medical subscription, and top-notch health care - just to name a few.
We’re disrupting small business. Our goal is to equip every team with a winning playbook. One that provides clarity around who does what and how. And with 5k small businesses scaling what they do with Trainual, we’re only scratching the surface.
We’re in good company. In June 2021, we closed a $27M Series B round. And we partner with some of the biggest names in small business, including Shark Tank star Daymond John, Slack, Loom, the cast of The Office, and more.
We all own what we’re building. Everyone who works at Trainual has life-changing pre-IPO equity. That way, you can be proud of what we’re building and sleep well knowing your teammates are (literally) just as invested as you are.
You have an eye for clean and artful design with a knack for translating high-level requirements into user flows and design artifacts. You are skilled in taking customer problems and translating them into experiences that customers can’t live without. You’re a humble go-getter with an eagerness to learn. You’ll work alongside a talented group of product designers, product managers, and engineers; that will challenge you and help you grow from day one. You have keen attention to detail and you let nothing get in the way of creating an experience that will forever change how our customers view Trainual.
What you will own & improve:
- Design Implementation: You will collaborate with product management and engineering to define and implement innovative solutions for the product vision, visuals and experience. You will execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to engineering. This includes developing the wireframes and prototypes around customer needs.
- Design Conceptualization: You will ideate on solutions that bring simplicity and usability to complex design roadblocks. You will find creative ways to solve UX problems like usability and findability to design effective user interfaces to be intuitive, simple, and aesthetically pleasing. You’ll align with internal stakeholders and customers to receive constructive criticism to improve the overall outcomes of your designs.
- Visual Design: You have exceptional UI and interaction design talent and creating UI in a visually systematic way that ensures a holistic, consistent experience across our products.
- Measuring Design Success: You will analyze and measure the success of designs (Build/Measure/Learn) through qualitative and quantitative data.
- User Research: You will conduct customer calls, data analysis, and monitor user behavior to build better solutions. You will create personas through user research and data collection to define the right interaction model and evaluate its success.
What you already know:
- 3+ Years of experience working in a fast-paced Saas startup design environment
- How to create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas.
- How to establish and promote design guidelines, best practices, and standards across all product offerings.
- How to do the following (UI): UI sketching, branding, color, typography, layouts, design research, animation, UI prototyping, interaction design, visual design, and graphic design.
- How to do the following (UX): use case definition, identify user problems, conduct user research, usability testing, prototyping, user modeling, journey mapping.
- Proficiency with the following design, research, illustration, and animation software: Illustrator, InDesign, Heap, FullStory, Figma, Sketch, or other visual design and wireframing tools.
- Understanding of accessibility guidelines, and understanding of prototyping UI interactivity and incorporating motion/animation into UI.
- How to present your research, designs, or solutions to key stakeholders internally and externally.
About the Team
Your leader is Taylor Sell, our Director of Product. You will collaborate with our talented team of Product Designers and our Lead Designer, Jen Fox to build and level up the overall experience and aesthetic elements of the Trainual product. You’ll join a growing no-ego design team that is always looking for new opportunities to learn and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment. We’re a team that is always transparent and you’ll take part in open discussion, feedback, and critiques with the broader design team.
Your ultimate goal is to create intuitive and delightful experiences that will forever shape how our customers leverage the Trainual product and provide an unmatched experience that will ultimately make Trainual the top Business Playbook software in the market.
*Strong preference for candidates located in Scottsdale, AZ, but we are open to remote. Check out our hybrid work philosophy below! Candidates must be US-based.
Benefits at Trainual
Competitive salary: We pay at or above market salary in most cases and leverage extensive amounts of data to ensure everyone is paid well.
Health insurance: We cover 100% of the employee premiums and significantly subsidize family plans. We use Justworks to make benefits easy. We offer additional healthcare resources like RedirectHealth, OneMedical, FSA, and HSA. Plus all HSA compatible plans are met with a company HSA match of up to $1,000 a year.
Dental & vision: We offer subsidized dental and vision coverage.
Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance: We cover 100% of the premiums for Short Term Disability Insurance and 1x salary Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary disability and life insurance through our provider.
Paid time off: 4 weeks of paid vacation. 5 days of paid sick time. 12 paid holidays.
Paid parental leave, including adoption: 8 weeks of fully paid time off.
401k with a 3% matching through Guideline 401(k).
Experience stipend: Up to $500 per year to experience something new - whether that’s a new ice cream flavor or a new country.
Great tools: Each employee receives a Mac laptop and a 27'' display (or equivalent). We’ll also purchase any of the software or hardware you need.
Complete transparency: Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Values at Trainual
Show Up Ready: Plan enough to pull it off, and pivot if needed. For our customers and our co-workers, we embody preparation and order. We work from an agenda. We start and end meetings on time. We put in the effort to polish what we present, all in an effort to build trust with those around us. When a company hires Trainual, they expect an experience that feels simple. The appearance of simplicity requires tremendous planning and preparation, so this characteristic has to be a core trait of everyone that works here.
Make Ideas Happen: Execute on what you innovate. We don’t just tolerate change, and go along for the ride; we drive change. Companies are like cruise ships, and turning them can take some time. But turning the wheel happens in just a few seconds. It’s the decision to redirect, and to make something different. It’s the vantage point at the front of the boat where you can see where you’re heading, before anyone else knows. We are the ones to initiate this change. It’s up to us to have the vision, to always look forward, and to spot obstacles and opportunities before they become issues.
Carry the Groceries: Carry extra weight without being asked. Go above and beyond whenever you sense a need. Look for opportunities to impress, and be ready to roll your sleeves up to make someone else’s life a little easier. It’s what we do. "Before starting my first business, I bagged groceries at a supermarket in Massachusetts. No one ever expected me to carry the groceries to the car, but when I did, it made their day. It’s such a simple thing, and took only an extra minute of my time, but it made a tremendous difference in that customer’s experience at the store. At Trainual, be helpful everywhere possible." - Chris Ronzio, CEO
No Red Tape: Work hard to make every process easy. There is nothing more frustrating than a bureaucratic process, and you won’t find one here. Never make customers or coworkers jump through hoops. Don’t let policy supersede logic. You’ll never go wrong making things easier on others, so challenge every system that could have fewer steps, more automation, and less complexity.
Collect Experiences: Have endless curiosity for a new perspective and knowledge. We work with people in all different industries, from all different walks of life. In order to build trust, understand the real picture, and help create change, we need to build real relationships. Listen to others, and relate to them. Be an experience collector, so that you have an endless supply of topics that can be used to find common ground.
Everyone has a Key: In results we trust. You'll notice from your first day that every employee at Trainual literally has a key to the office. We trust you, or we wouldn't have hired you. Some people say trust is earned, but we believe that trust is the default. Everyone carries their weight, and everyone is an owner of what we are building. We won't tell you exactly how to get the job done -- you won't find micromanagement here. So, remember that your productivity is measured by your impact and your effort.
Hybrid Work at Trainual
At Trainual, we believe everyone has a key, literally. This value means you are an owner of your experience, productivity, and growth. We know everyone is different - productive at different times of day, in different settings, with different types of work. So what does this mean for the future of work at Trainual?
TL;DR - Work when, where, and how you work best.
- No one is required to come back to the office, ever.
- Anyone can work from the office at any time.
- If you live in Phoenix, there is no requirement of days worked in the office.
- You can work with your leader to find a schedule that works for you and the team.
- If you want to relocate to PHX, we will help make that happen!
We want everyone to have a community, trusted relationships, easy collaboration, and a clear path for growth while maintaining the autonomy, ownership, and flexibility we've enjoyed with the transition to fully remote during the pandemic. As we transition to our hybrid work model, we want each team member to own their experience to ensure they are happy and fulfilled.
Location: 80% of our team is based out of Phoenix, AZ and our strong preference for new team members is local due to the ease of ad hoc collaboration and community building. However, we know great talent lives all over! If you don't live in Arizona and are interested in working at Trainual, we will consider each state on a case-by-case basis due to the implications of doing business in each state.
Visa Sponsorship: We welcome and support people of all different backgrounds (18% of our team was either born or raised outside of the US)! However, due to the constraints of being a small startup, we are not able to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visas at this time.
Our SaaS platform helps fast-growing businesses create modern training manuals. Trainual allows businesses to document every process, policy, and SOP in one place so that they can automate their onboarding and training, stop repeating themselves, and scale faster.
Now we have over 5,000 customers in 177 countries and counting and we’re just getting started. I’m getting the feeling that you’re ready to click that apply button. So just do it. Join us in building the turnkey operations manual and playbook solution for companies all over the world! I know you want to.
Read Full Job Description