Principal UI/UX Designer at Karat
Karat’s purpose is to Unlock Opportunity for engineers and companies alike, and our mission is to make every interview predictive, fair, and enjoyable. As the world’s technical hiring expert, we help companies hire smarter and grow faster, and create more opportunities for software engineers. From our industry-leading solutions to Karat’s Brilliant Black Minds program, the work we do here matters. We’re a passionate, smart, and committed team, and we want you to join our mission!Come join our Design team!
Our Design team is committed to creating industry-leading user experiences that help Karat deliver on its purpose of unlocking opportunity.What you will do
As Principal UI/UX designer at Karat, you will be a key partner in the full product lifecycle, from conducting research and developing a product vision through development and iteration. Leading the design function, you will also participate in product and design strategy, and help scale our processes through a wide variety of tools and systems.
Karat’s HQ is based in Seattle, Washington, but we are open to remote candidates for this role (within the U.S.).
- Lead and form relationships with business, engineering, product, marketing and other cross-functional teams
- Oversee information architectures, task flows, user interaction models, wireframe screen flows, prototypes, detailed designs, design briefs, design specifications and guidelines with little direction.
- Manage trade-offs and prioritization between engineering level-of-effort and customer experiences.
- Collaborate with Product Managers to explore, understand, and advocate for user needs.
- Define and prioritize our UX needs to enable easy value onboarding for new clients and mature existing customers towards additional value realization.
- Define how we measure the success of UX releases, and report results to the broader Karat team.
- Define the product roadmap in partnership with Engineering and Product.
- Ability to make hypotheses, test with monitoring of data, organize the insights and identify ways to improve efficiency.
- Hire, manage, mentor, and develop the product design team.
- Be responsible for the delivery of a design system, making sure designs are cohesive across all products
- Operate as a strategic leader, creating and owning the vision and roadmap of the Product Design team.
- 10+ years of product design experience on complex products, ideally web/SaaS
- Hands-on experience creating and supporting a culture that develops and nurtures designers
- Experience conducting interview-driven user research
- Strong command of user experience best practices, with working knowledge of Figma, Sketch, etc.
- History collaborating with Product Managers at the research and discovery phases of a project
- Effective communication skills — ability to translate user needs and design cases to the rest of the team
- Deep understanding to the experience of others, which includes our many types of users (clients, candidates) and a variety of partners within Karat
- Bachelor's degree in Design, Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Interaction, or equivalent practical experience a plus
Karat strives to offer everything you need to best support you today, tomorrow, and beyond. We’re proud of our current offerings, and highlight some of our team’s favorites below. There are more, just feel free to ask!Compensation / Time Off:
- Highly competitive salary and stock options
- Generous paid PTO (see below) and Sick Leave (10 days per year)
- Flexible Time Off Policy for salaried positions
- Three weeks accrued per year for hourly positions
- Parental Leave (12 weeks paid with transition back to work in part-time capacity)
- 18 paid Company Holidays for 2021
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance via Cigna or Kaiser (for CA-based employees)
- 100% premium covered for employees
- 70% premium covered for dependents
- FSA, STD, LTD, Standard Life Insurance, and Optional Life Insurance
- Mental Wellness offerings such as Calm, Happify, Talkspace, Modern Health, and more
- $150 per month contribution to miscellaneous benefit/wellness of employee’s choice
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know at [email protected].