Our Principal Product Designer will be an integral part of our leadership at WillowTree. To help retain our deep culture of collaboration both among ourselves and our clients, this role will maintain an in-office presence in a hybrid (Work From Near) capacity. Please indicate which of our available office location(s) you're interested in via the application form below.
Learn more about Work From Near.Who We Are
WillowTree is an award-winning digital product agency driven by innovation and grounded in strategy and user-centered design. We create long-term partnerships with the world’s leading brands to design and build digital flagship products vital to their core business. We are one of the largest independent digital firms in the US. Some of our clients include HBO, National Geographic, Anheuser-Busch, and PepsiCo.The Opportunity
As a Principal Product Designer at WillowTree, you’ll mentor, inspire, and grow individual product teams across our product consulting business of 60+ designers, researchers, and strategists. This is a unique opportunity to lead and directly influence creative direction without becoming removed from the design work itself.
We understand our responsibility to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive place within the tech industry, while pushing to make our industry more representative. Because of this responsibility, we need candidates who value diversity and inclusion through their work, team collaboration, mentorship experience, and/or thought leadership. So in your cover letter, we encourage you to reflect on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and intersectional individuals are encouraged to apply.
- You’ll take early ideas and set the tone for projects by designing a seamless experience that's as enjoyable as the product
- Provide meaningful guidance on everything from client communication to the pixel-perfect details
- Help designers push out of their comfort zone to create the best work of their careers
- Use your strategic thought process to get clients excited about WillowTree’s capabilities
- Collaborate and build relationships with cross-disciplinary teams such as engineering, content, and project management to orchestrate a smooth project experience for our clients and teams
- Define conceptual and visual direction for well-known brands
- Validating your design decisions through user feedback, quantitative insights, and evolving best practices
- Build relationships with clients and navigate your team through challenges that may interfere with executing the best product possible
- Present design work to clients throughout all phases of the process
- 80% your time will be spent working with your fellow designers on mission-critical projects with Fortune 500 clients
- 20% of your time will be spent managing individual contributors
- 10+ years in the design industry
- You’ve shipped products that impact thousands (or more) users — and most recently you’ve been leading design teams
- A strong eye for aesthetic and visual design
- Solid understanding of the product development process, from problem definition to detailed UI
- You have strong opinions about visual and user experience design while remaining flexible to new or differing perspectives
- A portfolio that demonstrates an understanding of user and business needs, creative approaches to problem-solving, and a mastery of visual design
- You have a knack for business, yet you’re still able to roll up your sleeves and push pixels when needed
- Experience presenting complex ideas to clients and team members in a compelling and energetic way
- You love working with clients, and they love working with you. You're empathetic to their needs and can bring solutions if problems arise
- You think “Yes!” as you read our core values and design goals and are committed to maintaining and positively influencing our design culture
- You’re a tech enthusiast. You love living in a world where tech and design meet
- You prefer face-to-face over remote interaction — and you know exactly when to get on a plane to present or solve issues with clients in person
We offer a place to be yourself.
Our differences, both visible and invisible, benefit our teams, our communities, and the products we craft. That’s why WillowTree strives to build a team with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives. You’ll work hard here; however, we’ll balance that with a culture that supports your growth and cares about your well-being. We’re committed to creating an environment of inclusion — a place where every Tree can thrive.
We want you to reach your fullest potential and part of your professional development at WillowTree will include dedicated time to innovate on passion projects and an annual stipend to fund your professional pursuits.
WillowTree upholds our core values in every aspect of our work. We promote safe and inclusive work environments and maintain a drug-free workplace. We celebrate our differences and provide equal employment opportunities to all team members and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Diverse teams build better products. We acknowledge that the tech industry especially lacks opportunity for those who are of non-traditional backgrounds and in underrepresented groups. In order to create the best products for everyone, we know that it's important for our team to reflect the diversity of our users, and we are committed to being the change we want to see.