[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]About Quora:
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.About the Team:
We're creating a repository for all human knowledge. To do this, we need to design systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet. Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing, and the platform for businesses to reach this audience, requires a multidisciplinary approach. We're building a diverse team with people of different backgrounds and experiences, empowered to shape strategy while moving quickly and learning as much as possible.
Designers at Quora are building a system to democratize access to all knowledge for the entire world. Our work leverages what we learn about psychological and social dynamics, communities and networks, and systems and policy design, in addition to more typical design skills. We value a diverse team and pursue candor, holism, rigor, care, and awareness in our work.
Quora is the perfect place for businesses or marketers to reach new customers because they are positioned at a moment of intent. We’re seeking a designer who is excited to engage with our business strategy and goals as well as building the product to achieve those goals. Product design plays a significant role in product strategy and direction — as an integral part of that structure, you will be a leader on our Ads team collaborating close with peers from product, sales, marketing, data science and engineering. Some problems you will face as a product designer on this team include deciding which customers to focus on, weighing the ROI to build a customer-requested feature, better anticipating user needs, and building products to attract more customers.
We value rigor and empathy in equal measure, both are essential to democratize access to knowledge. Designers reason through complex product decisions, translating strategic goals to product systems and features. Collaborating closely with cross functional teams to advance design’s perspective, designers implement their solutions themselves. Design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies.
- Identify high-impact opportunities for the business, design strategies and features in pursuit of Ads initiatives
- Partner with cross-functional leads for the ongoing improvement of our Ads related product framework
- Understand the highly technical and data-driven environment of performance advertising, generating product insights that contribute to business strategy
- Collaborate with research and business marketing experts to understand the creative needs of both large and small advertisers, designing scalable solutions with empathy for customer needs (advertisers large and small, content marketers through business accounts)
- Streamline and manage UI complexity (complexity reduction is not always the solution), resulting in polished UI design, clear information hierarchy, a holistic feature set
- Navigate ambiguity and clearly communicate decision rationale to designers and cross functional partners alike
- Contribute to team growth and development through mentorship and evangelizing best practices
- Work autonomously to quickly and pragmatically execute on multiple projects
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Standard Time). Learn why here
- Portfolio that demonstrates digital design capabilities across apps and other platforms
- 5+ years experience designing complex products in a B2B space resulting in clear, effective interactions that accomplished business goals
- 1+ years experience leading, developing or managing product designers in the ownership of their work
- Experience coordinating, directing, and guiding the work of other designers on your team
- Proven track record of aligning stakeholders at a strategic level for complex social products
- Experience with A/B testing and use of data analysis frameworks
- Experience working with advertising-based products
- Experience maintaining and improving a design system
- Skilled at delivering high quality mobile experiences for social media products
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure