Instructional Designer at GitHub (Remote)
GitHub helps companies and organizations succeed by allowing them to build better software together. The Customer Success organization has created a Learning and Development team to help support our teams in these endeavors!
The Instructional Designer, Learning and Development will utilize appropriate instructional methodology to create instructional materials across a variety of modalities for a diverse set of audience personas. The Instructional Designer will author scripts and storyboards, but also perform rapid development of eLearning courseware utilizing authoring software.
The ideal candidate will have a combination of training, instructional design, curriculum design and project management experience to assist in designing and developing learning solutions for multiple delivery methods including eLearning, instructor-led, virtual, and blended instruction.
The right candidate will be a strong creative writer, with previous experience writing and delivering training materials for both internal and external audiences. Our instructional designer should also be skilled at adding narrative, story, and context to materials to increase relevance and context.
- Perform needs assessments with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to define training gaps, problems, challenges, and opportunities
- Participate in discovery meetings, help conduct interviews, and translate identified needs into concrete learning objectives
- Write concise, creative, and effective instruction in the form of storyboards, VILT materials, ILT materials, and blended program materials
- Adhere to training templates, standards, style guides and LMS specifications
- Work directly with technical subject matter experts to capture specific knowledge and translate into repeatable and measurable learning solutions
- Ensure that learning solutions incorporate best practices in adult learning theory
- Provide input into work estimates and timelines
- Convert storyboards into eLearning courseware through the use of rapid authoring tools, such as Articulate Studio
Key Skills & Experience:
- Familiar with adult learning principles, learning theories, and instructional methodologies and models, such as ADDIE and SAM
- Familiar with industry best practices in facilitation, training, and blended learning solutions
- Clear and effective writer with specific skill in writing narrative, story arc, and scenarios.
- Action Oriented, innovative, and comfortable working in a fast paced environment
- Familiar with best practices in behavioral and cognitive sciences
- Strong experience with industry standard authoring tools, including Storyline, Rise, Adapt, and Captivate.
- Previous experience in basic graphic design is preferred but not required
- Past experience working directly with learning management systems
- Past experience with delivering instruction either virtually or in the classroom
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Education, Communication or English.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in design and development of instructional material in a corporate setting, producing creative learning solutions
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, and facilitation skills
- Strong creative vision for training materials; ability to think outside the box for training methodology and produce story-driven learning experiences
- Strong level of professionalism, customer obsession, and a growth mindset
**The language below will now be added on All Central and Colorado based job descriptions, please add in the appropriate salary range: Delete if not posting in Central and/or Colorado
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $49,000 to maximum $130,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
· Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.