Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
Design the teams that design Duolingo.
This role reports to the VP of Design as a member of the Design team, the instrumental creative partner in most projects at Duolingo—from our mobile apps and website to the brand voice and email newsletters, and even community events. At Duolingo, we take pride in and agonize over crafting a user-friendly (and fun) experience for everyone.
- Grow and lead a talented, diverse, inclusive team of designers and leaders that consistently delivers high-quality products
- Mentor and develop the skills, talents, and careers of the designers and design managers on your team, coaching them to success and impact
- Collaborate closely with leaders in other functions (Product and Engineering) to ensure that product areas are both planning well and hitting their metrics
- Be a strong advocate for design influence and design priorities
- Build a thriving culture where designers do high-quality work and uphold our outstanding product experience
- Design and scale the organization, partnering closely with Leadership and Talent Acquisition on headcount budgeting and forecasting
- 8+ years of experience in product design as a people manager at a similar or later-stage tech company, including experience managing managers
- Experience sourcing, interviewing, hiring, and onboarding for your team, as well as spot promising design talent
- Consistent track record of effectively managing people, including developing talent on your teams and recruiting a diverse team that reflects our learners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that lead to effective and concrete output
- Experience defining and influencing product strategy
- An understanding and appreciation for the accurate application of data and metrics in product design
- Attention to detail and a focus on excellence
- Ability to work from or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional candidates will have...
- A strong appreciation for and experience working closely with Design Operations
- Worked at a company with very high design standards
- Experience managing content designers
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Because Duolingo requires all employees to return to work from an office, all employees will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to remain employed unless they have an exemption to vaccination pursuant to a required reasonable accommodation. This is so that our employees feel safe in the office.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.