Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Building Infrastructure Design team plans and oversees the design and construction of the building systems that keep Rivian’s facilities running like a well-oiled machine. We’re a diverse team of MEP, FP, Structural & Civil engineers, Technical Program Managers and Engineering Specialists that come together to build world-class facilities to enable Rivian to scale. We challenge the status quo and deliver innovative solutions to complex problems across Rivian’s portfolio of vehicle production facilities, customer experience centers, charging, corporate office and R&D facilities.
The Building Infrastructure Design team’s work spans across a project lifecycle from early concepts (project scoping and due diligence) through developing Construction Documents (CD sets) and Construction Administration. As a Director in the team you will oversee a multi-disciplinary team in the development of one of Rivian’s production sites. Closer to city-scale masterplanning developments, these sites encompass next-gen production facilities, R&D, offices, supplier facilities, grid-scale renewable energy generation and much more.
- Grow and support the team – recruit a diverse team of exceptional engineers covering all disciplines included in site and building development, and empower them to succeed in a fast paced and dynamic environment. Mentor and champion the team to enable them to deal with varied engineering challenges from concept to completion as well as special projects. Work to understand each team member on an individual basis and ensure that they feel supported to the point that they can do their best work. Remove red tape and barriers to productivity. Represent the team when dealing with executive level stakeholders and ensure that Rivian’s workplace culture is pervasive.
- Drive Innovation – Roadmap, resource and manage projects which will move Rivian towards its goal of building world-class, sustainable buildings. You will create a working environment which encourages innovation through collaboration and a first principles approach to design. You will leverage subject matter expertise within the team to achieve cost reductions without compromising on quality. Your own thought leadership will propel Rivian’s project delivery and technical excellence in the built environment.
- Lay the foundation – Develop tools and processes which streamline the way in which we design Rivian’s built environment. Ensure that communication between the Building Infrastructure team and our external partners is seamless through development of clear, concise design standards and efficient onboarding processes. Create prototype design documentation to capture the Rivian approach to design.
- Forge Partnerships – Build relationships with our internal teams across design, construction, operations and acquisitions. A successful leader will understand the key drivers of the different internal groups and will work to ensure that the correct stakeholders are involved in decision making. Understand workflows across the business and work to efficiently integrate building engineering processes. Develop strong ties with our external partners and communicate with them open and honestly to ensure smooth project delivery.
- Knowledge sharing – Identify and remove knowledge silos. Strive to promote cross functional collaboration as a fundamental way in which the team operates. Encourage communication within the team, both at a leadership level and a project delivery level.
- 12+ years of engineering detailed design experience, 5+ years of leading technical teams
- Bachelors degree in Engineering or Science with a focus on the built environment
- Demonstrated excellence in delivering technically challenging built environment projects through their complete lifecycle
- Demonstrated ability to build, inspire and lead high performing teams
- Experience in successfully managing projects and teams in a fast-paced environment with a diverse set of cross-functional stakeholders
- Depth of experience in applying sustainability principles to your work
- Be inspired and motivated to solve technically complex problems
- Proven track record of applying these principles to a variety of project typologies and scales
- Masters degree in a field of study relating to the built environment.
- Licensed Professional Engineer, or similarly nationally recognized professional qualification
- Experience with large greenfield and brownfield projects
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at [email protected]Privacy
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.