Grammarly team members in this role must be based in the United States or Canada.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. More than 30 million people and 30,000 teams around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we're looking for a Design Manager to join our Brand Design team. The person in this role will work with team members across the entire company, particularly with leaders on the Product and Marketing teams. This opportunity is for a design leader who can adapt to our current processes and be creative in developing, recommending, and experimenting with new ones.
Grammarly's Design team is made up of brand designers, brand writers, content designers, product designers, growth designers, design systems designers, user experience researchers, consumer insight researchers, and design operations. In the Product organization, the Design team has the unique opportunity to define how people interact with our product and how our brand comes to life in every interaction and iteration. We are passionate and nerdy about all things design-from typography to branding to motion.
As Design Manager of the Brand Design Experience team, you will work closely with leadership on the Product, Design, and Marketing teams to continue to define, shape, and grow Grammarly's Brand Design system and provide your team with clarity of purpose, direction, and inspiration. You will focus on brand design continuity for a more streamlined user experience, from emails to websites to the product. You will help shape how Grammarly's brand becomes recognizable and notable as one of the best design-first brands in the world.
In this high-impact role, you will:
- Manage a team of 2-3 designers, including hybrid product designers and web designers, with room to grow the team to 6 direct reports.
- Educate the public about what our brand stands for and why everyone should trust our brand and use our product for every mode of communication they need.
- Build out the brand-design system so that the brand is integrated and implemented in ways that will continue to set us apart from the competition.
- Fuel the Brand Design team's goals, which include differentiating Grammarly's product offerings and expressing our features.
- Collaborate and align with cross-functional stakeholders and build trust across teams, starting with the broader Design team, to maintain a cohesive, consistent experience wherever our brand comes to life.
- Nurture a culture of exploration, learning, experimentation, safety, and inclusivity.
- Deliver a high-quality product experience.
- Continue building our team of talented designers, supporting them in delivering great work and in growing both as designers and professionals.
We're looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values-is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2-4 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Has 10+ years of experience as a designer.
- Has 3+ years of experience managing creative teams.
- Has experience working closely with engineers and product teams.
- Harnesses excellent written and verbal communication to encourage alignment across functions and departments.
- Is excited about working with ambiguity and being part of a cross-functional team.
- Can multitask and get hands-on with the work when needed to support the team but knows when to step back.
- Approaches the design process without ego and in support of our designers.
- Focuses relentlessly on our customers' needs and wants.
- Understands how to be proactive in seeking and providing opportunities to improve and expand the team, including enhancing team members' skills and experiences.
- Knows how to deliver design feedback candidly and effectively.
- Has skills in Figma and core Adobe Creative Cloud apps (AI, INDD, and PSD).
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trust, and we give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, 401(k) matching, and more.
- For Colorado-based employment: The salary range for this position is $94,000-$209,000 /year; however, base pay offered may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The compensation package includes a wide range of medical, dental, vision, financial, and other benefits, as well as equity.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all-especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations-to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and a participant in the US Federal E-Verify program.
Grammarly currently supports the long-term work of team members in the following US states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania (Kennett Township, New London Township, Pittsburgh City, Shaler Township), South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia
Grammarly currently supports the long-term work of team members in the following Canadian provinces: British Columbia, Ontario
Please note that Grammarly's COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Europe, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered on-site to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.