Design Director at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
The Design Director will lead the Design team to strategize, conceptualize, and develop award-winning integrated marketing campaigns. They will work cross-functionally with leaders across the organization to help drive campaign and design strategy. The ideal candidate thrives in a collaborative environment where they can be a true partner to leadership across the organization. To that end, the Design Director must be experienced not only in solving complex design problems, but complex business problems as well. This position reports to the Executive Creative Director.Your Responsibilities:
- Must have a meticulous eye for detail and design. As a key member of the Creative leadership team, you’ll be a hands-on leader who will direct the work to ensure it meets and evolves brand standards.
- Enthusiastically works with other departments to establish creative approaches for design while offering strategic vision beyond just execution.
- The Design Director must be fluent in visual design as well as UI/UX and able to direct across existing and emerging digital platforms. They will be expected to continually inspire, innovate, and harness new ways of design thinking within their team and across marketing.
- The Design Director is expected to lead 7-8 creatives and must have proven experience managing a team of equal or larger size.
- You will be responsible for guiding creatives of all levels within Upwork. This includes regular one-on-ones, annual performance reviews, and on-boarding new employees.
- A leader who prefers to lead by doing. You can’t resist the urge to practice your craft by rolling up your sleeves and working alongside your team to unlock creativity and pitch in where necessary.
- A mentor who is energized by growing others’ careers and knows how to motivate a team!
- A respected designer that has mastered their craft in one or more design domains, ideally a renaissance person with endless curiosity and passion for creative development.
- A resume that’s a who’s who of the world’s top studios/agencies, and a portfolio of award-winning work.
- An inspiring communicator that represents the work and the creative team, builds trust and influences alignment of our creative vision across marketing, PR, and product design.
- Thought leadership through a strong point of view and ability to contribute to the strategic development of an assignment.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.