The CG Asset Artist (Unreal) supports the tasks of Modeling, Texturing, and Surfacing in the production of highly accurate, photo-real, and stylized CG assets to the highest quality. This position has an emphasis on the creation, optimization, and lighting of assets to work within Unreal Engine for Virtual Production (virtual scouting and virtual camera shoots).
- Create and clean technically proficient models with efficient topology, based on creative briefs and/or reference materials.
- Create and edit UV texture coordinates for texture mapping polygon and subdivision surfaces.
- Facilitate the creation of high-quality texture maps prior to publishing to ensure consistency.
- Create extensive landscapes in Unreal Engine (terrain sculpting, manual layout placement, procedural scattering, lighting).
- Maintain, alter, or update Unreal assets and VFX CG models as required by creative leads.
- Optimize Virtual Sets and build/rebuild CG assets, as required, for real-time rendering.
- Interpret abstract ideas into the creation of compelling photoreal or stylized assets, including all-stages of look development within Unreal Engine.
- Communicate progress, feedback to Production, Supervisors, and Leads.
- Utilize a suite of VFX software and techniques to best resolve creative needs.
- Work with Visual Effects, Production Technology, and IT departments to improve and develop the Unreal environment creation workflow.
- 3+ years experience Modeling, Texturing, and Surfacing.
- Previous experience in the creation of high-end assets for games or cinematic sequences using Unreal Engine.
- Previous experience in a VFX environment and familiarity with a traditional CGI pipeline.
- Understanding of animation within Unreal Engine - Sequencer / Animation Blueprints / Editor; experience building with Blueprint.
- Basic understanding of plate and image-based lighting, as well as full CG lighting, preferred.
- Basic understanding of multi-pass rendering and 3D scene layout, preferred.
- Efficient UV layout experience using a UDIM workflow.
- Proficient Look Development, R&D, and Lighting skills from both an artistic and technical perspective.
- Proficient in Maya, ZBrush, and Mari. Katana, Substance Designer, and Substance Painter knowledge, a plus.
- Basic compositing skills in Nuke, a plus.
- Strong aesthetic sense and keen eye for detail.
- Technical understanding of color space.
- Ability to take direction and implement feedback with a positive attitude; strong communication, organizational, and time management skills to balance priorities under the pressure of a deadline-driven production.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or moderate.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please review our Employment Disclaimer and Materials Submission Agreement.