Associate Director, Product Design at Chewy (Minneapolis, MN)
Chewy is dedicated to being the most trusted and convenient online destination for pet parents (and partners), everywhere. The Chewy Product Design and Research team embraces this vision, crafting experiences that aim to delight customers (and the businesses and veterinarians that support them) with unprecedented ease and convenience, empowering them to keep their pets happy and healthy. We are a hard-working, collaborative, and fun-loving team of designers, researchers, and builders, on the lookout for creative and driven talent to join the pack.
We are seeking an Associate Director, Product Design in Bellevue, WA | Boston, MA | Minneapolis, MN | Plantation, FL to play a leadership role in realizing Chewy’s vision, driving the conception and creation of innovative shopping experiences for pet parents everywhere. You’ll have the opportunity to think and act big, exercising continuous innovation and a bias for action, coupled with thoughtful experimentation.
The ideal candidate will be a systems-level design thinker and visionary, with strong customer instincts and outstanding design intuition, who will provide vision and direction setting to a team of Product Designers. Your primary goal will be to ensure an unparalleled customer experience that enables our customers, businesses, and veterinarian partners to accomplish their goals in the most elegant, efficient, and enjoyable way possible. To achieve this, you will be responsible for developing and socializing a vision that drives engagement and excitement throughout the organization - working closely with our partners in research, product management and engineering to help shape the next generation of pet parent experiences on Chewy.
The ideal candidate is a passionate, yet pragmatic design leader that can analyze customer behaviors, identify opportunities to solve problems, and create an innovative customer experience in a fast-paced and collaborative environment. You should be passionate about working strategically with other senior design, engineering, and product leaders to create and deliver big, visionary, and customer-focused experiences.
As an expert in user experience design, you turn your deep knowledge of our customers into products that deliver compelling value for the customer and the business. You carefully plan and drive the creative process for large, complex products to make sure that design delivers and continuously raises the bar. You use customer outcomes and business metrics to hold yourself accountable at every step of the process.
You build trust across the organization by helping others achieve their goals. Those trusted relationships help you push the boundaries of design and product innovation to benefit the customer. Your proactive communication style and openness to collaboration across the organization influences people inside and outside the design organization. The knowledge you build enables you to make effective, high-quality, high-judgment decisions.
Operate at Depth
You recognize opportunities for design to drive change, and you have the judgment to choose between evolutionary and revolutionary solutions. Your judgment allows you to make smart trade-offs and compelling arguments to ensure the best outcome for the customer. When you see an issue, you take ownership and build a plan to resolve it.
Build High-Performing Teams
You partner with leadership to develop high-performing teams through modeling and mentorship. Your work and style encourage innovation and calculated risk-taking in a safe environment to drive team learning. You build well-structured plans that ensure high-quality designs are delivered on time. You identify performance issues and help leadership address them quickly.
What You’ll Do
- Transform customer and business objectives into compelling products that have purpose, simplicity, and are feasible to build.
- Lead innovative and systems thinking across a range of products, platforms, and devices with a bias for action and crisp management of multiple priorities.
- Manage the design process from end to end: Discovery and concept ideation, flows and wireframes, and full-fidelity prototype designs.
- Manage the design team ensuring that they are fully engaged, effective, and growing.
- Collaborate with product managers, developers, content strategists, user researchers, and other designers.
- Champion cohesion and consistency to unite a growing family of products while building a culture of invention and innovation.
- Clearly present your design process, inspiration, and decisions to stakeholders, including C-suite executives.
- Nurture Chewy’s culture and principles within the group and set new standards for executional and operational excellence.
- 7+ years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar role.
- 4+ years of experience leading large-scale initiatives and leading designers.
- A track record of designing high-quality digital products that delivered results and demonstrate the depth of your design leadership skills; illustrated in a portfolio or case studies.
- Achieved mastery of a core set of design skills in interaction design, information architecture, and user interface design.
- Demonstrated communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills that communicate complex concepts clearly across different audiences and levels of the organization.
- A proven ability to evaluate the customer and business impact of your design decisions inside and outside of your own product area.
- Bachelor’s degree (or an equivalent degree) in Design, HCI, or a related field, or equivalent professional experience with the design field.
- Position may require travel.
- Experience in complex regulated products for consumers like financial services and insurance
- Demonstrated ability to manage the design of a portfolio of products
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $134,000-$205,000. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including but not limited to the candidate’s relevant experience, education, and work location. In addition, this position is eligible for 401k and a new hire and annual equity grant.
We offer different types of insurance, such as medical, vision, dental, life, disability, hospital indemnity, critical illness, and accident. We offer parental leave, family services benefits, backup dependent care, flexible spending accounts, telemedicine, pet adoption reimbursement, employee assistance program, and many discounts including 10% off pet insurance and 20% off at Chewy.com.
Non-exempt hourly team members accrue PTO and UTO while salaried-exempt team members have unlimited PTO. Team members will receive six paid holidays per year. Team members may be eligible for paid sick and family leave in compliance with applicable state and local regulations.
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members. If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, and you need an accommodation during the application process or to perform these job requirements, or if you need a religious accommodation, please contact [email protected]
If you have a question regarding your application, please contact [email protected]