Associate Design Director at Cox Enterprises (Atlanta, GA)
Imagine a world where great, creative minds are tackling some of the most pressing challenges of our time. Where compassionate people are working to build a better future for future generations. Where designers, writers and filmmakers are building world-class brands and delivering groundbreaking work across diverse creative platforms, industries, and borders.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Associate Design Director to lead our talented team of designers in delivering innovative design solutions that align with our company values and drive success for our clients.
Duties and responsibilities
- Oversee and manage the design team, providing mentorship and guidance to ensure a high level of performance and creativity.
- Review and approve designs prior to submitting for final review and approval by project leads and senior leadership.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop strategic design solutions that exceed client expectations.
- Ensure all designs adhere to brand guidelines and company values, maintaining a consistent and cohesive visual identity.
- Stay current on industry trends and best practices, inspiring innovation, and continuous improvement within the team.
- Oversee and manage design department projects from concept to completion, ensuring alignment with client goals and company values.
- Support the allocation of design resources according to project volume, complexity, and scope.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to designers, fostering a culture of collaboration and growth.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to develop creative design solutions that exceed client expectations.
- Stay up to date with industry trends and best practices to maintain our position as a leader in design innovation.
- Lead the creation of visually engaging designs for print, digital, and social media platforms, adhering to brand guidelines and company values.
- Curious intellect: able to conceptualize solutions based on design brief; able to communicate ideas via sketches, renderings, and rapid prototyping; demonstrates design excellence.
- Effectively communicate aesthetic requirements on final designs.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders and internal partners to create brand guidelines, brand books, logo design, and typography.
- Direct any necessary iterations to ensure that the work is in keeping with the artistic vision.
- Manage and deliver against complex and conflicting project timelines.
- Lead brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to the overall design strategy.
- Present clear and convincing presentations for internal and client purposes.
- Foster innovative, inspired thinking and idea-based concept work to challenge expectations.
- Generating design solutions that uphold, if not exceed, the high standards of design excellence and execution, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together.
- Actively engage in opportunities for professional development and growth within the company.
- Proactively develop team of designers and drive education around the design review and approval process
- Manage portions of the design budget and resource allocation for designer development, talent management, and team growth.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, visual arts, or a related field, along with 8 years of relevant experience; a master's degree in graphic design, visual arts, or a related field, along with 6 years of relevant experience. In lieu of a degree, a minimum of 12 years of experience in graphic design, visual arts, or a related field
- 7+ years of professional design experience, preferably in an agency setting.
- 2 years in a leadership role, preferably in an agency setting.
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
- Strong portfolio showcasing a variety of design projects.
- Exceptional communication, leadership, and problem-solving skills
- Strong executive presence and skilled in storytelling.
- Demonstrated commitment to community involvement and creating a positive impact.
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- Strong collaboration and problem-solving skills
- Desire to learn and further develop design and professional skillset.
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses - which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications - is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page .
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.