At Teachable we empower creators to transform their knowledge into income. To accomplish this, our products enable individuals and small businesses to create, host and sell online courses and coaching. Teachable Creators have tens of thousands of active creators who’ve reached more than 45 million students around the world, teaching a diverse array of topics, ranging from crafting to card tricks to coding. Fifty million people worldwide consider themselves to be creators. More than two million people earn enough from their passion projects to consider it their full-time income. The rise of the creator economy means more people than ever want to share what they know and monetize it. Teachable is poised to offer best-in-class solutions to this ever-growing market.
In 2020, Teachable was acquired by Hotmart Company, a global leader in the Creator Economy with a shared mission of empowering creators to live out their passions. With offices in eight countries and more than 35 million users worldwide, Hotmart’s partnership ensures our creators—current and future—have access to best-in-class technology tools, so they can scale their online businesses with ease and truly make an impact on their students’ lives.
As Art Director at Teachable, you will be responsible for providing creative leadership, team-wide mentorship, and setting an inspiring example for the Creative Team across all touchpoints and verticals. You’ll collaborate with all Marketing teams to support an extraordinary product that is used by tens of thousands of creators and millions of students.
This role will report directly into our Director of Brand, Content, and Creative.
About the Role:
We’re looking for an Art Director with extensive multi-channel digital experience. As a leader of the Creative Studio Team, you’ll partner closely with our Creative Studio Team members to maintain, build, and evolve our ever-growing creative ecosystem. This is a fantastic role for a natural born leader and mentor who is ready to nurture a team of designers and inspire them to do their very best work.
You’ll partner extensively with our Senior Copywriter. The two of you will work with the Director of Brand, Creative, and Content to take a fresh look at the current brand and discover areas to innovate and push our creative boundaries. As a team you’ll assess our processes and improve wherever needed as well as explore new avenues for brand expression.You’ll bring an engaging and compelling knack for design and direction to our campaigns and brand collateral, helping to build and nurture a deep and robust system of creative output at the highest standards.
You’ll work in an integrated and holistic way, thinking beyond a single channel. You will translate designs across a multitude of touch points effortlessly to unlock the full potential of every project you touch. This role is ideal for someone who is a hybrid designer at heart and is able to leverage a diverse skill set to lead and support as needed.
You’ll work closely with the Director of Brand, Creative, and Content to conceptualize and create beautifully crafted creative work across the Teachable ecosystem.
- Lead the Creative Studio Team by providing guidance and mentorship, giving constructive feedback and reviews, and helping with professional growth and development while inspiring them to do their best work.
- Jump in when necessary and lend a hand with design or strategy; a “hands-on” mentality is key. You must be willing to continue to design by example and pitch in when needed.
- Lead design meetings confidently and effectively communicate strategy to team members, leadership, and executives regularly.
- Partner with Senior Copywriter to set priorities for the creative studio and identify larger initiatives we should be taking to evolve the brand.
- Partner with the Senior UX/UI designer to enhance accessibility, readability, and other user experience considerations of visual assets and digital experiences across the creative ecosystem.
- Work closely with our Creative Operations Manager to plan and assign tasks and projects as well as optimize and improve our workflows and processes, when needed.
- Partner with the Director of Brand, Creative, and Content to lead strategy and craft compelling digital experiences around our campaigns, events, and brand experiences and successfully translate them across various formats and devices.
- Work closely with a multidisciplinary group of designers, copywriters, marketers, project managers, and producers to bring our creative vision to life. You will also partner closely with cross-functional teams and partners in a variety of projects.
- Manage design processes with outside agency partners, freelancers, and contractors; Keep scalability top of mind throughout all facets of the design process, ensuring that everything we put out into the world is robust, agile, and flexible.
- Leveraging our brand guidelines, you’ll develop digital style guides for our marketing site and other digital experiences.
- You’ll proactively pitch improvements to the brand expression and design systems we have in place and take responsibility for the team budget keeping track of support and resource needs.
- 8-10 years of experience executing best-in-class design and digital experiences across various digital touch points at an agency or in-house creative team. Both experiences are a plus.
- Must have experience managing a team.
- Fluency with a variety of design programs including Adobe Creative Suite and Figma.
- A portfolio that showcases best-in-class brand and digital work for recognized brands.
- Confidence in advocating for design priorities and supporting the unique needs of creative work within a diverse marketing team.
- Experience advocating for team resources.
- Expert understanding of responsive design and how to translate designs successfully across a variety of formats and devices.
- A strong foundation in graphic design principles (typographic mastery).
- A natural collaborator who enjoys collective brainstorming, concepting, and trying new approaches to design and strategy.
- Motion design chops; working knowledge of Adobe After Effects and other industry leading motion graphics software.
- Experience working with live action video; providing feedback, storyboards, being on set, and editing videos are a big plus.
- You're skilled in communicating design principles and design rationale to non-designers.
- You're passionate about educating and improving overall team visual literacy without alienating those less familiar with design vocabulary.
- A self-motivated problem solver who’s able to work comfortably with ambiguity.
- Sophisticated and elevated eye; there’s no detail that gets past you.
- Experience with creative project management.
- Must be confident actively participating in project timeline creation and helping establish reasonable turnaround expectations based on insight into creative constraints and pain points.
- Active engagement and knowledge of current digital design trends and best practices.
- Outside the box thinker who is inquisitive and proactive in suggesting new ideas, formats, and options in an effort to push innovation forward.
- Understands the fluid and fast-paced world of rapidly growing start-up environments.
- Possess true empathy and sensitivity for others; patient and calm under pressure.
- You’re passionate about what you do and have fun doing it.
- This role is open to remote candidates in the U.S.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- For this role, the base salary range is $130,000 - $150,000. Total compensation also includes a competitive benefits package and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). A salary offer will be determined by a number of factors including experience, skill level, education, internal pay equity, and other relevant business considerations. We review all teammate pay and compensation programs regularly to ensure competitive and fair pay.
At Teachable, we are committed to providing fair and competitive pay (using market data to inform our pay bands), rewarding high performance, and ensuring all employees have the opportunity and ability to impact Teachable’s overall company value. Base salaries will be reviewed at regular intervals throughout the year, typically following performance review cycles currently conducted bi-annually or in conjunction with a promotion.
While Teachable maintains our NY office for local employees to use, we operate as a remote-first culture in order to give our employees added flexibility. In order to maintain connection and create a community beyond the screen, Teachable holds company-wide, in-person events 2-3 times per year, where employees and teams can come together for team bonding, strategic alignment, goal-setting, and celebrations!
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with an option covering up to 100% of monthly premiums Generous Vacation, Personal, and Sick Time
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
Gym/Wellness reimbursement up to $100 in pre-tax dollars per month
One-time $500 Work from Home (WFH) purchase card for new hires and ongoing WFH monthly reimbursement for certain home expenses of up to $100 per month
$250 Donation Match Program
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.