Title: Underwriting Automation Lead – Commercial Lines
Reporting To: VP of Commercial Lines
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide nothing less than the best policies, best value and best customer service in the industry. And this is just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from having problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
We are seeking an automation manager to implement front and back-end decisions supporting automated underwriting of new commercial products and advance Hippo’s growth and profit objectives. In this role you will be accountable for implementing and managing commercial lines insurance products. The Underwriter Automation Manager will collaborate with product, underwriting, and technology teams to develop, implement, and design systems that balance and optimize growth, profitability, and operating costs.
What You'll do:
- Act as the technical product subject matter expert and maintain a thorough knowledge of the products built within the systems that support decisioning
- Identify actions and interactions to automate to drive a superior customer experience
- Translate business product vision into tangible business processes
- Supporting an automated submission or API-driven workflow to ensure risks are written within the program(s) meet company risk tolerance and satisfy referrals, as required
- Working with the product manager and underwriters, create technical specifications, BRD’s, test plans to support all product development and state expansion efforts
- Articulate business objectives through underwriting specifications leveraging third party partnerships and API integrations when appropriate
- Lead the implementation of new tooling, capabilities, integrations, and data sets to support the continued automation of the commercial business
- Drive all aspects of insurance-related product through implementation workstreams including front and back-end design, underwriting rules, billing, claims, and reporting
- Manage through influence internally, manage and drive outcomes directly with vendors
- Managers at Hippo are hands-on, this is an individual contributor role and you will own the design and delivery of your solutions
- Minimum of 7+ year’s experience as a commercial insurance-product manager or analyst, business analyst, or technical underwriter
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Commercial lines property, general liability experience required
- Commercial habitational/real-estate program experience a plus
- Experience implementing products into policy administration platforms, familiarity with API integrations and managing rules that drive automated decisioning
- Solid organizational skills, detail-oriented, and ability to balance multiple priorities in an execution-focused environment – you can see the big picture and execute at the granular level
- A high degree of ownership in the results of your work, and respect for how that work impacts the broader organization
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and computing fundamentals
Nice to Haves:
- Consulting or demonstrated framework thinking to support the implementation decisioning process
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Hippo Meals & Snacks- We cater lunch in our office 3 times a week and we provide all the snacks & drinks our Hippos can handle daily.
- Hippo Habitat- Our beautiful, historic offices are located in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.