Strategy & Operations Analyst at M1 (Chicago, IL)
Who we are
M1 has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We've been named a 2021 Top Workplace by the Chicago Tribune and listed on Built In’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago. We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What You'll Do
- Own and drive strategic analytical projects that provide insights to influence and support Operation’s initiatives.
- Directly engage and partner with the Operations Spend team. Spend is M1’s banking product that includes the spend checking account, debit card, and recently launched Owner’s Rewards credit card.
- Potential projects related to Spend include funnel throughput, card spending trends, servicing efficiency, etc. As the person driving these projects, you’ll have a great opportunity to become an expert and grow with a product that is a main focus for M1.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to choose accurate metrics for tracking, measuring, optimizing, and improving KPI’s. Create data visualizations for said metrics.
- Present findings to senior management to drive business decisions.
- Strategically partner with other data analytics teams at M1 to share problem solving methods.
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities.
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in data sets.
- Work with management to prioritize business and information needs.
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- 2-5 years of experience as a data analyst or business analyst role
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- A self-starter who is intellectually curious and embraces asking questions
- Experience in a fast-paced, high-activity environment
- Experience with Tableau or other visualization tools (PowerBI, Looker) a plus
- Experience with Python a plus
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement) and five Employee Resource Groups (Mental Health, Pride, Black, Latinx, and Women at M1), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym