GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This role is 100% remote, based in the US.
The Strategy and Operations team acts as internal strategy consultants for GitLab. They move from project to project in different functional areas, and play an operational role in helping to support key initiatives. In this role, you will partner with stakeholders across the business to achieve company goals, while using your experience to guide conversations, set goals, and drive quantifiable results.
This team supports and reports directly to the Chief of Staff.What you'll do in this role
- Understand and synthesize the market, competition, and upcoming solutions
- Manage cross-functional projects
- Partner directly with the CoST, or other senior leaders on high priority initiatives
- Operate at a strategic level while also understanding when to dive deep to keep the project on track
- Identify procedural gaps in existing workflows and work to resolve with optimization, automation, and data
- Support the creation of prepared materials (documents, decks) for the Chief of Staff and the CEO
- Translate practical needs into technical and/or business requirements
- Support special projects that are urgent and important
- Execute on projects and ongoing assignments for the Chief of Staff
- Fill in knowledge gaps of the Chief of Staff
- Demonstrate GitLab values in all work
- Ability to find opportunities where teams need to collaborate with each other and help them make those decisions that are optimal for the company even if they maybe sub-optimal in the short term for particular groups
- Ideally 2+ years of experience in a Strategy and Operations role within a high growth start up environment
- Consulting experience, ideally within the tech industry
- Experience in Product Management, or Engineering a plus
- SaaS, B2B and Business Operations experience
- Experience analyzing data and making data driven decisions based on that data
- A detail-oriented forward thinker
- Excellent written, verbal, and technical communication skills
- The ability to manage multiple tasks with competing timelines and deliverables
- Track record of leadership independent of role
- History of working cross-functionally to move projects forward
- Evidence of success in leading key business initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to take a project from ideation through to implementation
- Experience at a strategy consulting firm is preferred
- Familiarity with the industry is a plus
- Ability to use GitLab
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.Hiring process
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our global recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interview with the Chief of Staff and be asked to complete a homework assignment
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interview with a key stakeholder and be asked to complete a product assessment
- Then candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interview with our Director of Strategy and Operations
- Candidates will be asked to complete a homework assignment.
- Finally, candidates will meet with our CEO who will conduct the final interview
As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call. See more details about our hiring process on the hiring handbook.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.