Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured, and designed for the way our customers live their lives.
A bank for all of us.
About The Data Science Team
Varo’s Data Science Team builds algorithms that make it easier for the right people to get access to funds, help protect customers from fraudsters, and transform the in-app banking experience with real-time recommendations. Unlike some organizations where data takes a support role, here at Varo data science is front and center. Since we are in hyper-growth mode, you will get to build data science systems from scratch from day one. We rely on advanced techniques in machine learning, cloud platforms, and big data and are primarily PhDs and ex-academics with a collegial work atmosphere. If you are interested in working with an impressive team of Data pros who collaborate and challenge each other and want to solve interesting problems to propel the company’s growth, apply now!
As Staff Data Scientist, Machine Learning you'll...
- Develop & deploy live ML algorithms, such as fraud detection algorithms, recommender systems, and dynamic credit risk models, as well as processes for monitoring and analyzing their performance
- Leverage large data sets from different sources, and use advanced modeling techniques such as XGBOOST, recurrent neural networks, reinforcement learning to increase and optimize customer experiences, customer acquisition, underwriting, and other business outcomes
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging data to drive business decisions or embed ML directly into the product
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the engineering team to deploy models and monitor outcomes
- Have the opportunity to mentor junior data scientists
You're a person who...
- Is passionate about building end-to-end ML solutions that drive business value
- Is curious and loves learning new and cutting-edge techniques coming out of industry and academia
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on translating real-life problems into a concrete model development strategy. Blend academic rigor with a sense of pragmatism for rapidly prototyping and delivering solutions.
- Loves building things from the ground up
You have the following required experience...
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field - computer science, engineering, statistics, operations research, economics, etc.
- 6+ years of experience as a Data Scientist, Machine Learning Scientist, or ML Engineer as an individual contributor, including relevant experience from your PhD research
- Experience applying a wide range of statistical techniques to large data sets, and understanding their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Experienced in using Python for analysis and modeling (pandas, numpy, scikit, scipy, statsmodels, xgboost, nltk, tensorflow, pytorch, matplotlib, etc.)
- Experience using web services (AWS, GCP), and distributed data/computing tools (Spark, Hadoop, Hive, etc.)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in consumer finance nice to have
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail [email protected] with the pertinent information and contact information.
Read Full Job Description