What you'll do:
- Architect the next version of our cloud data analytics infrastructure to ensure high performance and reliability as we continue to scale both data volume and consumers.
- Lead data, product, and infrastructure engineers in complex, cross-team projects such as:
- Redesigning our ETL pipelines to support a transition from a monolithic OLTP database to event-driven microservices.
- Enabling product engineers and analysts to efficiently instrument, manage, and catalog hundreds of analytics events.
- Significantly improve the performance, reliability, and usability of our infrastructure to enable fast, frictionless decision making across the organization.
- Work closely with analysts, engineers, and business stakeholders across the organization.
- Mentor peers and raise the bar for data engineering practices across the company.
What you'll need to be successful:
- You have 6+ years of experience as a data engineer with a demonstrated record of leading and delivering projects with company-wide impact.
- You have a deep understanding of distributed batch and streaming systems, both in theory and practice, and can design with explicit trade offs around speed, reliability, and scale.
- You are a proven technical leader, communicator, and consensus builder.
- You’re very strong in at least one programming language (we use Python) and can build and support internal tools and APIs.
- Ideally, you have led a transition from a batch-first to streaming-first data architecture.
Why you're excited about us:
- Our impact: You will be responsible for leveling up the internal data platform at the heart of our business decision making.
- Our team: There aren’t many venture-backed startups with high growth rates, a strong platform and subscription-driven business model, AND a powerful social impact. On top of that, our small team is passionate, talented, and driven.
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.