Staff Data Engineer at General Motors (Tallahassee, FL or Remote)
Remote- This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The Employees role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis. In the USA this is an employee who lives more than 100 miles from their designed, primary worksite
The Advanced Analytics COE (Center of Expertise) team in the Chief Data Analytics Office is responsible for developing analytics-driven solutions to help GM Organizations achieve their business goals. The individual will work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team of various experience levels that will be driving solution design, development, and deployment of analytic models in support of business facing analytic groups. The team is responsible for both advanced analytics strategy and applied, project-based solutions, focusing on the company's most critical business areas. As a Data Engineering technical leader, you will build industrialized data assets and optimize data pipelines in support of Advance Analytic objectives. You will work closely with our forward-thinking Data Scientists, BI Developers, System Architects and Data Architects to deliver value to our vision for the future. Are you ready to join a future facing team?
- Lead data asset development and sourcing for high-impact data science projects
- Develop and lead execution of solution architecture for data, POCs, and pilots
- Create strategic plans to make data assets more efficient and effective considering the IT infrastructure - strategic thinking mindset
- Partner with business and Data CoE to identify and create enterprise data assets to be used as the curated gold source
- Evaluate business needs and identify and source data into analytical data sets needed to support advanced analytics models that will deliver actionable insights
- Understand and profile data to assess usefulness to meet business objectives
- Combine data from different sources and transform data as needed
- Communicates and maintains metadata, logical models, and data dictionaries for analytical data assets
- Act as SME on analytical data sets, with ability to answer data scientist questions or find related information to support analytical modeling
- You will identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing processes for greater scalability, etc.
- Work with business partners on data-related technical issues and develop requirements to support their data infrastructure needs
- Manage and support manual scoring of data as needed to support POCs and usage of advanced analytics models over time
- Lead contract resources to support data asset creation, reporting, and scoring is done with high quality and accuracy
- Identify and report data quality issues as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Analytics, or related field.
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience with Big Data Tools: Hadoop, Spark, ESS, etc.
- 10+ years of experience as a data engineer or in a similar role
- Highly proficient with querying relational databases and/or Hadoop (expertise with SQL, Hive, Spark, Python, etc.)
- Experience with cloud data platforms
- Familiar with predictive / analytical modeling techniques, theories, principles, and practices
- Ability to effectively work with a team of data scientists and business stakeholders exchanging knowledge
- Strong project leadership and management skills to effectively meet strategic and tactical goals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to present to a target audience
- Must be detail orientated/articulate with strong time management and organizational skills
- Must be a self-starter
- Must have strong drive for results
Willingness to learn new skills and methods as needed - continuous learning mindset.
- Compensation: The median level of salary compensation for this role is ($125K).
- Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
- Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values; • Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.