Sr Manager, Business Insights at Airbnb (Remote)
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Trust organization protects, guides, and mobilizes the creation of trust in our community and on our platform. We hire quality talent who embody our company values and hold a steadfast commitment to creating a world where anyone in the Airbnb community can host, travel, and connect with peace of mind.
The Policy Analytics, Research & Experience team enables, facilitates, and streamlines integrated data-driven decision making across the Trust Policy & Program organization. The team is committed to operational excellence and community experience through a culture of problem-solving, guided by data and research. We inject quantitative measurements into our processes and implement objective indicators of success. Most importantly, we create the resulting feedback and insights-to-action for our community, unlocking positive perception, usage, and retention. We are passionate about showcasing and solving the most pressing, most impactful policy concerns our community face, including rooting out racial and other demographic discrepancies, guided by data and research.About you
- You are a self-starter, smart yet humble, with a bias for action
- You are passionate about solving complex problems with data; adding a new perspective to existing solutions and making business decisions based on careful and thoughtful analysis.
- You are hands-on focused on building data pipelines and data mart solutions at scale and with a focus on sustained operational excellence
- You establish data processes, data solutions, and automations, based on business and technical requirements by leveraging big data technologies and third-party tools
- You are highly proficient in building data marts, analytical frameworks, statistical models and experimentation methods to establish and communicate causal relationships.
- Find opportunities to create and automate repeatable analyses or build streamlined data flows for business owners
- You have a strong sense of urgency for and commitment to Airbnb’s mission of belonging.
As the Senior Manager, Business Insights, you will report directly to the Director of Business Analytics in Trust Policy & Programs and partner closely to incorporate data driven insights into community standards and policy creation. You will work across technical and business teams to develop robust data insights and experimentation platforms to support policy launches, privacy features, anti-discrimnation initiatives, crisis cases management and community experience efforts. You will define and monitor metrics, create data narratives, and build tools to drive decisions for a three sided marketplace, balancing the safety and expression needs of our community and business and operational challenges. In addition, you will leverage Airbnb’s rich and unique data, state-of-art machine learning infrastructure, and other central data science tools to build and grow the capacity within the organization. You will also be deeply involved in the technical details of the various systems we build, and will have the opportunity to collaborate with a strong team of engineers, product managers, designers and operation agents to achieve shared, cross-functional goals to help keep Airbnb’s community safe and trusted.
In this role you’ll get to
- Use a combination of data engineering, science and analytics based skills to build the business insights platform (data mart) across the Trust Policy & Programs org (backend automation to frontend insights)
- Perform data modeling for the various entities involved in Airbnb Trust including customers, hosts, cases, agents, and others using modern data modeling tools and frameworks to provide the analytical foundation of Airbnb’s policy positions.
- Conduct deep analysis into various operational areas including policy incubation, enforcement efficacy, prevalence, efficiency, agent tooling, agent staffing & optimization, and agent quality & efficiency to identify and solve for operational bottlenecks and inefficiencies.
- Blend external and internal data insights into a commercial and community policy context in order to inform policy positions and business impacts
- Devise business metric frameworks and optimization models to make optimal business decisions that support arguments for Airbnb’s policy issues
- Influence data-driven decisions across global sites and business verticals in day-to-day via business reviews, self-serve portal, planning scorecards, and impact analyses among others.
- Influence experimentation & measurement strategies; conduct power analyses, define exit criteria, and use statistical models to use with new Airbnb policy / product features to help deter and mitigate risk
- Build machine learning models to automate policy enforcement decisions, while enqueueing the most complex cases for manual review by agents
- A minimum of 10+ years of experience in developing complex data solutions and conducting innovative data analyses with an emphasis on operations scalability and optimizing for community experience and safety.
- Experience working with large data sets and an emphasis on developing business facing metrics and solving informing future business decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to create and drive technical roadmaps for the business, then seamlessly execute against them.
- A successful candidate will be both technically strong and business savvy, with a passion to make an impact through creative storytelling and timely actions
- Proven ability to tailor your recommended solutions to business problems to a cross functional team, with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with cross functional partners of varying technical levels.
- Have a positive and solution-oriented mindset; leads by example.
- Exceptional presentation, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strong time management and prioritization capabilities.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or other quantitative field along with industry experience in driving full stack data projects from inception to business impact.
- SQL expertise + advanced programming skills (Python preferred), and deep experience in data engineering & data modeling (Hive, Presto, Spark preferred).
- A deep understanding of modern machine learning techniques and their mathematical underpinning, such as classification, clustering, optimization, deep neural network and natural language processing.
The starting base pay for this role is between $190,000 and $235,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.