Sr. Business Intelligence Engineer at Ruby Receptionists (Portland, OR)
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about data and is hungry to dive in and immediately start writing queries and building reports to help decision makers. As Ruby evolves, we are constantly improving our suite of data-driven reports, dashboards, and integrations. This person will be responsible for working with stakeholders to gather requirements, develop new queries and reports, and help to support our existing infrastructure.
We are a small, nimble team that works on many different projects that involve everyone from our front-line employees to our CEO. The insights the BI team provides the company are increasingly important as we grow and leverage the data we gather to provide data-based products both internally and to our customers. The data used to provide these insights come from both proprietary purpose-built systems and licensed cloud software such as HRIS, sales automation and financial systems. The ideal candidate should be skilled at multitasking, time management, and prioritization in the face of evolving requirements and new demands for business intelligence.
The Sr. BI Engineer will report to the Director, Business Intelligence. This position can be located from one of our offices in the Portland, OR or Kansas City, MO metro areas, or fully remote (state-dependent).
What You’ll Be Accountable For
- Write & develop advanced SQL queries to pull and analyze data for all departments across the company.
- Create and maintain reports in Looker.
- Sync data across platforms using a variety of tools.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define data & reporting requirements and to resolve issues in existing reports.
- Help maintain and improve data and reporting infrastructure.
- Work with the internal engineering and system operations teams on database structure recommendations and data extract requirements.
- Recommend & implement enhancements and modifications to optimize the BI team’s processes & procedures.
- Train & support the growth and development of junior BI Engineers in data reporting and analytical skills.
Key Success Indicators
- Eager and able to dive right in and contribute from day 1.
- Interpreting data schemas to translate into insightful KPIs, dashboards, and reports.
- Writing and optimizing efficient queries.
- Assisting with the design and creation of reports and dashboards.
Your Work DNA
- Passionate about delivering business value based on data
- Ability to tell a story using data and visualization
- Ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders across the organization
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Strong project management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong business acumen and ability to foster cross departmental partnerships.
- You have an intrinsic curiosity for tinkering with data and data products
- You are a quick learner and like to apply new technologies to business problems
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline, or 5-7 years’ experience in lieu of a degree.
- Advanced SQL development skills required preferably with SQL Server and Snowflake.
- 2+ years of experience with Looker.
- 2-3 years of experience in a data warehouse environment such as Snowflake.
- Experience with data integration and ETL tools such as Fivetran, Matillion, and SSIS
- Experience with DBT
- Experience using R, Python or other analytics languages.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Advanced statistical knowledge and core mathematical ability.
- Knowledge and experience of relational and dimensional modeling, data warehousing concepts, and methodologies.
- Experience with business intelligence and data warehousing design principles and industry best practices including multi-dimensional modelling (star schemas, snowflakes, de-normalized models, handling slowly changing dimensions)
Work takes place in an open office setting. It requires the ability to sit/stand and work at a computer for extended periods of time and communicate effectively with a diverse audience in person, by phone and by computer. This position may travel between office sites occasionally.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the US. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of work visas at this time.