Specialty Underwriting Business Analyst - Sr Specialist at CNA
Individual contributor, representing some level of technical knowledge, who works with business teams and technology representatives in support of a project or program. Formulates and defines systems scope and objectives based on user needs and an understanding of the business system requirements. Participates on project teams or work groups and may be the primary project contact for the functional business area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Business analyst for projects in functional area. May act as Project Owner for agile projects representing Underwriting, Product Management, and Underwriting Services for small projects.
- Works collaboratively with stakeholders to plans and participates in working sessions where business requirements are elicited and reviewed.
- Prepares requirements and supporting documentation (e.g. use cases process flows business rules user interface mock-ups etc.) for decision phases of the project.
- Supports system test planning to ensure that test conditions scripts validation criteria and expected results will successfully test the business and non-functional requirements.
- As appropriate, participates in design reviews to ensure that detailed designs meet the needs of business and non-functional requirements.
- Manages requirements process using the appropriate requirement management tools
- Assures that necessary research is performed in order to fully understand the business issues develop possible solutions and to support development of innovative cost effective solutions.
- Performs necessary research to fully understand the business issues to support development of business/technology solutions.
- As appropriate, participates in design reviews to help ensure project/system designs meet business needs.
- Continuously learning new trends and developments within functional area and the insurance industry.
- May participate in the evaluation of software packages as they relate to the project/functional area .
- May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically Director or above.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Broad understanding of the insurance industry its products practices and operations.
2. Broad knowledge of the system development life cycle and technology alternatives; understanding of interface design and user centered work methods.
3. Strong knowledge of client area's business and systems.
4. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
5. Solid oral and written communication skills and ability to convey business requirements and technical needs in clear concise and effective manner.
6. Solid client and interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with clients and IT staff.
7. Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
8. Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and other business related software systems.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree in Business, Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
2. Typically a minimum of seven years of experience in business analysis or other related field, i.e., accounting, finance, insurance operations, or computer science with prior experience identifying and documenting business requirements.
3. Project leadership experience desirable.
4. Applicable certifications preferred.