Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure at Benchling
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
As one of Benchling’s first data engineers, you’ll join a rapidly growing, world-class engineering team and form the foundation of our data pillar, encompassing internal analytics and product data science. You will build the next generation of our data infrastructure and enable the company to answer key questions and make better decisions. Benchling is growing really quickly, and you’ll be setting the bar for high quality data and a metrics-driven culture as we scale.
In addition, Benchling is building its own analytics products for customers to enable asking operational and experimental questions of Benchling's R&D platform. You’ll serve as a key input and work closely with the Product team to bring best principles and techniques to our customers and the industry at large.
If you are to graduate with your Bachelor's or Master's degree in class of 2021-2022, please consider applying to our Software Engineer, New Graduate position here.
YOU MIGHT WORK ON
- Architect and build Benchling’s data platform for internal analytics, product data science, machine learning, and growth engineering.
- Define and design data transformations and pipelines for these cross-functional datasets, while ensuring that data integrity and data privacy are first-class concerns regarded proactively, instead of reactively.
- Define the right Service Level Objectives for the data pipelines, and optimize their performance.
- Architect and implement scalable APIs for internal and external customers to access data in our warehouse.
- Engineer changes to Benchling’s products to provide richer instrumentation that will lead to the development of new data products and systems for either internal use cases or new customer-facing products.
- Work closely with Sales, Marketing, Customer Experience, Product, and Engineering to establish best practices around usage of our data platform.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- 5+ years of industry experience designing and building data processing systems
- Driven by creating positive impact for our customers and Benchling's business, and ultimately accelerating the pace of research in the Life Sciences
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw data to something a human understands
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Experience with Spark, Airflow, MapReduce, or other open-source or commercial software related to data processing
- Experience with data analytics and warehouse solutions such as Snowflake, AWS Redshift, etc
- Comfortable with SQL and a scripting language (such as Python)
- Plus: comfortable with R, Matlab, or other languages / frameworks used for computation across large datasets
- Plus: experience with data sets in any of the business or operational domains listed above (Sales, Marketing, Customer Experience, etc.)
- Apply for our Summer 2022 software engineering internship program here.
- For new grads, class of 2021-2022, who are seeking a full time position after graduation, please apply to our Software Engineer, New Graduate position here.
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Yearly educational stipend
- Flexible & Generous Vacation Policy: If you feel you need a break, you can talk directly with your manager to find coverage and support while you are out of the office. Need time off to vote? We've got you covered.
- Quarterly company-wide mental health days off
- Holiday Shut-down: company-wide holiday shut-down between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Major US and EMEA holidays observed
- To support remote work conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.