Software Engineer - Capacity at Uber
About the Role
Uber is one of the fastest growing tech companies in history. Supporting this rapid business growth while developers add features creates a variety of reliability and efficiency challenges. We must ensure we have enough resources to operate the business and our software is stable and performant.
As a Software Engineer, you will help define a holistic vision and build core systems across a wide variety of focus areas such as capacity planning/management, forecasting, fleet-wide usage monitoring, distributed tracing, benchmarking, budgeting and ordering of hardware. All to help grow Uber's infrastructure while collaborating with shared platform teams, service owners, finance, data scientists and infra leaders.
--- What You'll Do ----
- Work with teams across Uber to identify, model and project capacity needs over time, help scale services and platforms within our capacity budget and find opportunities to make Uber more efficient.
- Architect, design and build software solutions to help with all aspects of capacity planning/management/ engineering to scale Uber's infrastructure across a variety of sophisticated workflows and business processes.
- Contribute to ensuring Uber's SOA efficiently uses the resources in our data centers and cloud.
---- Basic Qualifications ----
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience building and managing distributed systems. Sound understanding of distributed system fundamentals.
- Proficient in one of the following programming languages: Go, Java, C/C++. Good scripting skills and the ability to pick up new ones.
---- Preferred Qualifications----
- Experience with full-stack development.
- Experience with data engineering, data pipelines, big data systems, data science, SQL, analytics.
- Systematic problem solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis.
- Experience with a relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Grit, drive and a strong sense of ownership coupled with an appetite for collaboration!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.