Who We Are:
At Platform Science, we’re working to connect everything that moves.
Founded in 2015, we are an open IoT platform that partners with innovative fleets, application developers, vehicle manufacturers, and equipment providers in the transportation industry to deliver revolutionary solutions to supply chain professionals across the globe.
Our employees are an engaging, diverse group of people who believe in the power of great ideas. We hire people with different experiences and perspectives to build a company culture that fuels growth through innovation.
We value thoughtful actions and empathy for others. We approach challenges with resiliency and creativity, while encouraging transparency because, no matter our backgrounds or responsibilities, we are one team.
About the Role:
We are looking for a Senior / Staff Data Engineer to be instrumental in progressing our company on our journey to being data driven. You will work with the data team, as well as cross functionally with the product, engineering, and infrastructure teams to understand business goals and objectives. You will architect, build, test, deploy, and support batch and real time data pipelines. You will collaborate with fellow data team members in order to advance the company's data science initiatives.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with business stakeholders, product owners, engineers, analysts, and data scientists to design and develop high-quality software and data architectures for batch and streaming data pipelines
- Collaborate with the team to build the next iteration of our data workflow management system (Airflow/Luigi/etc.)
- Work closely with our product and engineering teams to define and build data models that enable complex analysis, visualization, and data science
- Leverage our data stack (Snowflake/DBT) in order to continue to buildout, data model, cost optimize, and manage our data warehouse
- Partner with data scientists in order to design and build ML pipelines
- Filter, clean, and transform data from a variety of sources in order to enable analysis
- Work with management to prioritize business and information needs
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
- Mentor other data team members and advocate for data driven decision making
What We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of experience as a data engineer or similar role
- 5+ years of software development experience including the ability to write expert-level, maintainable, and robust code using Python, SQL, and relational databases
- 3+ years designing, managing permissions, and maintaining data warehouses; developing and maintaining ETL pipelines & dimensional data modeling
- 3+ years working with both OLTP/OLAP relational databases
- 3+ years of experience working with AWS services such as EC2, Lambda, S3, RDS, ECR, EKS, IAM, IoT, etc.
- 2+ years of experience working with streaming data technologies such as Kinesis, Kafka, Storm, etc.
- Advanced SQL skills including multiple-table joins, unions, sub-queries, CTE, aggregations, temporary tables, and analytical functions
- Comfortable with CI/CD pipelines using tools like Jenkins, TravisCI, or GitLab Runners
- Technical expertise regarding all things data, including: mining, modeling, transforming, cleansing, and validating
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- BS in computer science, engineering, or equivalent experience
What Would Be Great:
- Experience building a workflow management system such as Airflow/Luigi/Prefect/etc.
- Experience with containerization and orchestration such as Docker/Kubernetes/EKS
- Experience building serverless data pipelines
- Experience with Data Build Tool (DBT)
- Experience with Snowflake or other columnar databases
Platform Science Benefits Highlights
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits (some plans for employees are 100% covered by Platform Science)
- Generous paid time off and company holidays
- Up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- 401k matching
- Investment in your professional growth in the company