Senior Software Engineer - Data Platform (Remote) at Cisco Meraki (San Francisco, CA)
Cisco Meraki is revolutionizing the way IT administrators lead their infrastructure by providing simple and secure cloud-managed solutions. With a large install base of customers and rich dynamic data sets, the potential for data analytics to improve business performance for both our customers and our own business is enormous.About the role
The Data Science Infrastructure team is a growing group that works closely with executives and leaders across the company to support the development of and alignment on our business strategy. We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer - Data Platform to develop relationships and work closely with data engineering and data science teams to drive near and long term initiatives to improve our product, and customer experience. This would be an outstanding fit for a technical pro who has the ability to work autonomously, and can drive technical efforts building robust and resilient auto-scaling platform solutions. In near real time, Cisco Meraki collects extensive amounts of data from its devices all over the world. We collect nearly 6 million data points each second (~50B events per day). In this role, you will craft, implement, and help maintain the ETL pipeline that powers our systems.What Will You Do
- Architect, build, and maintain scalable ETL pipelines that ingest data related to Meraki devices, Google Analytics, and Salesforce.
- Design systems to ensure fast, reliable, and scalable delivery of data across our cloud based infrastructure.
- Build systems that process raw data and create intuitive and exciting insights for our customers.
- Tackle complicated scaling problems to ensure a flawless user experience and high uptime.
- Improve and restructure the backend architecture to scale to ever-larger customers.
- Work with various product groups within Cisco Meraki to understand their data requirements and requests.
- BS or MS in Computer Science / related technical field or equivalent combination of graduate degree and work experience
- 8+ years of writing professional production level code and tests.
- 5+ years of Python and Scala / Java programming languages.
- Experience in designing, building, and monitoring APIs.
- Experience designing, implementing, and debugging ETL pipelines in a distributed system, preferably working with large data sets.
- Experience building a real-time streaming and compute infrastructure (Kafka, RabbitMQ/ SQS, Spark, etc).
- Experience in using AWS services such as EMR, Lambda, DynamoDB, Glue, Step Functions, etc.
- Experience in containerization technologies (docker) and orchestration platform (K8s).
- Deep knowledge of micro-service architectures, principles and patterns.
- Strong understanding of SQL, including one or more relational databases and data warehouse (e.g., MySQL or Snowflake).
- Drive a unit, integration, system test strategy that will help the team deliver value with a high degree of quality.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience or a desire to lead technical decisions and design discussions.
- Experience or willing to work in an agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, etc.).
- Experience working with Terraform.
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that extraordinary engineers come from diverse backgrounds.
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.