By clicking Apply Now you agree to share your profile information with the hiring company.
Founded in 2014, Opendoor’s mission is to empower everyone with the freedom to move. We believe the traditional real estate process is broken and our goal is simple: build a digital, end-to-end customer experience that makes buying and selling a home simple, certain and fast. We have assembled a dedicated team with diverse backgrounds to support more than 100,000 homes bought and sold with us and the customers who have selected Opendoor as a trusted partner in handling one of their largest financial transactions. But the work is far from over as we continue to grow in new markets. Transforming the real estate industry takes tenacity and dedication. It takes problem solvers and builders. It takes a tight knit community of teammates doing the best work of their lives, pushing one another to transform a complicated process into a simple one. So where do you fit in? Whether you’re passionate about real estate, people, numbers, words, code, or strategy -- we have a place for you. Real estate is broken. Come help us fix it.
Our mandate is to demonstrate profitable data breakthroughs. In practice, this means working on riskier hypotheses, driven by the acquisition of novel data or experimenting with new ways of modeling. This team targets a lower success rate of individual projects (~30-50%) to ensure that we’re pushing boundaries. We ensure consistency by working over a diversified portfolio of bets (business areas and kinds of problems).
About the Role:
As a Research Scientist, you will demonstrate data breakthroughs for Opendoor. You will create and develop a diverse portfolio of proofs of concept, balancing project risk versus potential impact. You have a portfolio mindset, minimizing risk by exploring a variety of uncorrelated projects, rigorously prioritizing projects given the uncertainty, and working inside fast feedback loops. Projects can range from step-function algorithmic improvements due to integrating new data sources to partial- or fully algorithmic automation of human processes, driving leveraged operational efficiencies.
As a Research Scientist, you will:
- Build and evolve models that drive massive customer impact
- Identify opportunities at all stages of the modeling lifecycle, including new models, new data sources, enhancements to models, and rapid feedback loops
- Provoke trade-offs and prioritize work across a portfolio of potential projects based on impact and scope vs. effort and risk
- Produce convincing structural and data-driven analyses to falsify ideas or move them forward
- Clearly and concisely articulate the business impact of your work
- Work pragmatically at a high cadence to ship modeling opportunities, such that we generate high learning throughput
We’re looking for teammates who have:
- Adeptness in working with any kind of data (structured, unstructured, scraping, database tables, etc.)
- Ability to create machine learning models to solve business problems, applying excellent business judgment and orientation toward impact
- Proficiency in a programming language to be able to solve a business problem in a full-stack, data-driven way (scraping data, ETL, web-hosted ML model)
- Ability to quickly (1-2 weeks) build proofs of concept and identify the highest-leverage areas to iterate efficiently
- Desire to identify, perform, and automate laborious work (e.g. hand-labeling 100 examples to understand the job at hand, then systematizing the process)
- Strong knowledge of statistics
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills
- 4+ years of data science and generalist engineering experience over a diversity of products
- A risk-aware, investor’s mindset (seeking out and placing bets on a portfolio of projects)
- Proficiency in a relevant modeling or statistics specialization, such as macroeconomic modeling, portfolio optimization, stochastic modeling, or human-in-loop data enrichment
- A public portfolio of full-stack data products, demos, or blog posts
More About Us:
Want to learn more about us and how we are revolutionizing the home buying and selling process? Learn more about us on our website, check out our profile on The Muse to learn more about our culture from our team members, or read our blog posts to hear about the work we are doing.
We Offer the Following Benefits and Perks:
- Full medical, dental, and vision with optional 85% coverage for dependents
- Flexible vacation policy
- Generous parental leave
- Paid time off to volunteer
Please note that these benefits and perks are available only to Full Time team members and do not apply to contract roles.
Opendoor Values Openness:
Read Full Job Description