We can Do Great Things because we have great Associates. The Ensono Core Values unify our diverse talents and are woven into how we do business. These five traits are the key to achieving our purpose.
HONESTY • RELIABILITY • COLLABORATION • CURIOSITY • PASSION
The Senior IMS Database Administrator creates, maintains, designs, monitors and troubleshoots Ensono or client databases. They use specific relational database management systems, develop and implement database recovery mechanisms and procedures. And coordinate security measures to safeguard database integrity.
Position reports to Senior Manager - Mainframe Database
Key Areas of Focus for this Role
- The successful candidate will perform mainframe database software upgrades coupled with administration and tuning to support our customers' IMS environments.
- The individual will need to work with vendor personnel to achieve timely solutions of database problems.
- The individual will be responsible for day-to-day database maintenance such as creating backups, performing restores, monitoring file extent growth, scheduling reorganizations, creating and maintaining DR procedures and overall support of customer needs and requests.
- The successful candidate will be called upon to perform a variety of database optimizations that will include general reporting and analysis of the efficiency of the database configuration and periodic review of database performance.
- Expertise and work efforts will focus on the development and support and/or the customization of new services and support efforts.
- System programming knowledge of multiple DBMS's is a bonus.
- The individual will need to participate in on-call responsibilities
Required Qualifications help to assure new Associates are set up for success in their role with Ensono. To be considered for this career opportunity, it is important that you meet all Required Qualifications. Candidates that may meet some, but not all, Other Qualifications are still encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor's degree required and/or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of professional experience in IMS for administration and systems programming support. CA and IBM tools for IMS a plus
- Knowledgeable in best practices of software management, maintenance and documentation
- Configure and manage IMS in a parallel sysplex environment
- Develop innovation, strategies, processes and best practices in IMS systems programming
- Establishing policies and procedures pertaining to database management, DR, security, maintenance and utilization
- Reviewing new versions of IMS for functionality, advising how they benefit the client
- Evaluating change requests and determine impact to assigned clients
- Vendor consultations for problems and questions
- DR recovery of application objects
- Troubleshooting and solving production database issues
- Demonstrated ability to respond quickly and effectively to support requests from multiple clients
- Supporting multiple customer for after hours on-call
- Database Administration
- Knowledge of IMS database organization using access methods of VSAM and OSAM
- Full function database organization types
- HSAM, HISAM, SHISAM, HDAM, HIDAM, INDEX, GSAM
- Definition and use of LOGICAL databases
- HALDB (partitioned): PHDAM, PHIDAM, ILDS, PSINDEX, etc.
- Fast Path databases (DEDBs)
- Database Design and related utilities
- DBD source coding and DBDGEN
- PSBGEN source coding and PSBGEN
- How databases are processed using secondary indexes (PROCSEQ=)
- Correct usage of PROCOPT= to minimize database locking
- Online Change
- IMS commands related to ACB and FORMAT changes
- Coding and usage of IMS reorganization utilities (including IBM, BMC, CA), including: unload, prefix resolution, reload, prefix update, secondary index build, image copy, and pointer checker
- Support planned (disaster recovery) and unplanned (emergency) database recovery activities
- Knowledge of log archive and change accumulation utilities
- How to perform a log archive on demand
- Knowledge of IMS DB recovery utility
- How to use DBRC to generate JCL for forward recovery and point-in-time database recovery.
- Database monitoring
- Space management
- Database dataset space reporting for proactive outage avoidance.
- How to immediately fix an out of space condition for a VSAM database dataset
- Identification and resolution of performance issues
- Online tracing - Usage of IMS TRACE commands and associated utilities for spot monitoring of online program/transaction activity
- Extracting information from IMS logs using DFSERA10 and related utilities DFSUTR20 and DFSUTR30
- Use of DFSDDLT0 utility to access data
- Program/transaction monitoring - Familiarity with usage of IBM's IMS performance Analyzer product is a plus
- Using DBRC to monitor database activity
Ensono is a place we unleash Associates to Do Great Things - for our clients and for your career. This could mean achieving a professional goal, collaborating with your team on an innovative idea, learning a new skill, reaching a wellness milestone, or engaging in your community through volunteer programs. Whatever it means to you, we want Ensono to be the place where you can do great things.
- We value flexibility and work-life balance. Positions that are not required to be onsite to support a client may offer the ability to work remotely or hybrid at an Ensono office location.
- Unlimited Paid Day Off (PDO) Plan
- Two robust health plan options through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- 401(k) with a generous company match
- Eligibility for dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life and AD&D coverage, and flexible spending accounts
- Depending on location, ability to take advantage of fitness centers
- Wellness program
- Flexible work schedule
Pay transparency nondiscrimination statement/posting OFCCP's pay transparency policy can be found on OFCCP's website.
If you need accommodation at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiter know or email [email protected]