Senior Engineer, Data (temp-to-hire) contract at Kinship
WHO WE ARE
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. Why? Because our pets make us better humans, and we owe them the best possible care. As the premier partner to a new generation of pet parents, we use our data, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be. And we unite changemakers in pet care to break down barriers, open new doors, share insights, and advance our collective knowledge. All so we can reimagine the pet parenting experience, up people’s confidence, and help the world find better ways to care.
Kinship is a coalition that includes:
- Adopt-a-Pet, the destination for finding homes for homeless pets; we help animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies connect their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month
- Our world-leading Wisdom Panel™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs
- The award-winning Whistle™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor
- Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights
- VETINSIGHT™ which gives modern pet parents the veterinary and wellness guidance needed to make smarter, more informed health decision for their pets.
- The Wildest, the destination that helps pet parents keep their cool in the wild world of pet parenting
- GoodFriend, our recently-launched marketplace for all your pet’s people
- PetStory, our platform that curates top services for pet parents in Russia
- FluffyGo, the mobile-first platform is a one-stop solution for science-minded pet parents in China
- LEAP VENTURE STUDIO, our accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents
Together, these teams and more work to set new standards in pet care. And, as a part of Mars Petcare, they work to create a better world for pets. Learn more at www.kinship.co.
WHO WE ARE
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. We’re a data-driven collective, building the future of pet care with interconnected solutions that reimagine every experience across the pet parent journey. We combine insights, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be, and ultimately create a better world for pets. That includes our world-leading WISDOM PANEL™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs, the award-winning WHISTLE™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor, Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights, and our partnerships like the LEAP VENTURE STUDIO accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents
Kinship is a business division of Mars Petcare, the global leader in pet health, nutrition, and services, and dedicated to one purpose: A Better World for Pets. Learn more at www.kinship.co.
OUR DATA & ANALYTICS TEAM
The Kinship Data & Analytics team is a multifaceted team with global impact on the Kinship businesses. This team, a mixture of engineering, product insights, and data science associates, will partner with internal and Mars Petcare teams to build a rich understanding of pets and pet-owners and power our business and the Kinship data ecosystem. We are using an evolving, cutting edge tech stack to help us ingest, process, model and democratize data from across the segment to create robust pet-centric views of our clients. As a member of a team that is still growing, you will have the opportunity to help shape our team’s identity and footprint. The ideal candidate possesses strong technical skills, is comfortable working on ever-changing problems, works well cross-functionally, has a sharp eye for details, proactively owns and solves problems, and is always excited to learn.
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
- Provide the highest industry standard of data engineering on our data platform, helping build the foundations for a better understanding of pets and pet-owners
- Work with both structured and unstructured data to produce valuable data assets on pets and pet-owners
- Work on the most challenging areas of development within the Kinship data platform
- Engineer and orchestrate data models & pipelines in a cloud environment using a progressive tech stack
- e.g. AWS, Google BigQuery, SQL, Python/PySpark, Airflow, etc.
- Share ideas, promote best practices and suggest enhancements to our platform
- Promote DevOps & CI/CD methodologies to collaborate within an agile environment
- Collaborate with analysts, data scientists and technology partners to understand their requirements
- Drive results through strong communication with fellow associates and stakeholders, working with them closely and bouncing off ideas
THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- You Have Courage: a willingness to bring forth a new idea, engaging others across Kinship to support you, and taking risks and action will full accountability
- You Learn at Pace: a consistent and fast work ethic to meet growth goals, and the ability to evolve and pivot quickly from what you’ve learned
- You Value Difference: a genuine belief in inclusion and diversity is in your DNA, and it shows up in your work, and how you work.
- 7+ years’ experience in data engineering using cloud environments – AWS and GCP preferred, Azure nice to have
- Expert knowledge in Python and SQL
- Highly experienced in building end to end data pipeline/ETL/ELT solutions. Familiarity with solutions like FiveTran, Airbyte and Glue are a plus.
- Experience with data workflow management solutions such as Apache Airflow
- Expert knowledge of the contemporary data engineering and analytics landscape, the current tools, the pertinent approaches, and the likely challenges
- Able to collaborate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders to gather requirements, manage expectations and deliver value
- Attention to detail in QA, documentation and time management (e.g. Confluence, Jira, etc.)
- Advocate of CI/CD methodologies and agile working
JOIN OUR PROS!
- Unique opportunities for a customizable career within pet care
- A super collaborative, flat work environment with direct access to our senior leadership team
- Work from the hottest cities across the world
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work opportunities
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- Welcome kits with pet merch & Kinship swag
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship