Who we are
Our mission at Nylas is to turn communication into inspiration and insight. We empower over 100,000 developers and over 900 companies all over the world to access, parse, and gain insights from communications data to provide better experiences for their customers and users, all while providing top tier security and compliance. To achieve this vision, we’ve raised over $175M from Tiger Global, 8VC, ScaleUp, Spark Capital, Slack, and more.
We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and a massive opportunity (the world runs on communication and data). By continuing to hire exceptional people from all different backgrounds and perspectives, we have the opportunity to make Nylas one of the biggest, most successful and equitable technology companies in the world.
Nylas is an advocate for the well-being of our employees. We trust our employees and give them the autonomy to achieve their goals without focusing on when, where, and how they get there. We are a flexibility first workplace. That means if you have a preference for working fully remote, going into the office every day, or anywhere in between, we support that working style. but if Nylanauts want to work from an office, we have hubs in San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London.
We are also strong supporters of internal and cross-team mobility and growth. We want Nylas to be a place where anyone can be supported to grow, learn, and become the best at what they do. We’ve been named a top Startup for career growth and development by Forbes, Great Places to Work, and Comparably!
From our CTO + Co-Founder, Christine Spang:
“We have a number of folks on the team who started as an individual contributor and became staff level or leaders in their area. I personally love seeing people reach their full potential and become successful at Nylas.”
About the role:
Nylas is working on a next-generation data platform. You will be involved in building out the new infrastructure on top of a more modern stack that offers horizontal scalability and improved operability. In addition, you will help design and implement data pipelines that feed into the AI/ML models and data warehouse.
You need to not only understand how to operate, administer, and maintain databases but also how to really teach our people how to think about our databases. We don’t want to do everything for our developers; we want them to be doing things for themselves. But to do that, we need to teach them some of our specialized knowledge on database subjects to do what they need to do with our databases without having to go through us - where that makes sense. Some things that are particularly fiddly or difficult we would probably want to hold on to for ourselves.
- Maintain, scale, and administer our large sharded MySQL database environment to be operational 24/7 (more than 100TB of DB storage, 71 primary-replica pairs, hosting 200 shards!)
- Ensure our clusters are healthy, scaling, performant, and cost-effective
- Enforce security and auditing practices to maintain DB integrity
- Help teach and encourage smart database practicesImprove automation of our various database systems to help enable self-service (when it makes sense), and implement self-healing and resiliency
- Improve automated backup and restore systems
- Improve alerting - if it alerts and isn’t actionable, it’s not an alert! If something goes wrong and we don’t get alerted, we need a new alert!
- Experiment and recommend new database engine upgrades and entirely new data stores (when they make sense)
- Document current DB processes/architecture to help plan for the future
- A few years of operating large-scale relational database systems (20+ servers)
- Strong proficiency in MySQL database management including performance tuning, query optimization, index tuning
- Maintaining HA solutions using mha, orchestrator
- Setting up monitoring dashboards with meaningful metrics to help identify usage/performance trends
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git(Version Control)
- Knowledge of MySQL features, limitations, and underlying storage engines
- Familiarity with other SQL/NoSQL databases such as PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Vitess
- Basic understanding of developer technologies - Python, Ansible, AWS, Terraform
- Nice-to-have - experience building out data pipelines using Spark, Kafka, kubeflow, Beam, Dataflow
- Nice-to-have - ProxySQL experience
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application and will either move forward with your application, find another team that might be better suited to your skills, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Perks and Benefits:
• Nylas Alumni Fund: after 3 years employment, Nylas will invest $20k into your seed round if you decide to start your own company
• Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
• CPP with 3% employer contribution
• Education Stipend: $1,250 annual education & development benefit
• Perk card: $180 per month towards health, wellness, and other perks via Assembly
• Cell Phone: $60 per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement