Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Blockchains are revolutionizing how financial data is shared and audited. As a Data Scientist within Finance Data, you will be at the heart of these innovations and collaborating closely with the Coinbase finance team, building finance data pipelines and tools that integrate traditional banking with the future of money.
We expect you to have a deep understanding of audit & compliance processes in finance data, and demonstrate clear communication, strong desire to execute and best-in-class craftsmanship. Also, you’ll spend the other part of your time collaborating with cross-functional partners in product and engineering, ensuring Coinbase scales in the most safe and compliant way.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Collect data from various systems and convert it into the source of truth for Financial and Compliance domains
- Dig into complex data sets and make sense out of them
- Translate functional and technical requirements into architecture and design
- Participate in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
- Measure business performance, develop core metrics and create dashboards to track and understand them
- Identify data, metrics and analyses needs for business partners; Initiate, develop and maintain data pipelines and data models that powers dashboards and data products with outstanding craftsmanship
- Perform deep analyses and build models to understand customer behavior, and extract key insights that impact product decisions
- Work across multiple subject matter specialists to drive new data initiatives, automation of reports, establish best practices and mentor junior members in the team
- Lead analytics projects to completion
- Work with the broader Data team to find ways to scale our insights through better systems and automation
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Proficiency with databases and SQL expertise
- Experience with large-scale data warehousing architecture and data modeling
- Expertise with data processing (ETL) technologies is required
- Experience in one programming language such as Java, Scala, or Python
- Strong analytical skills
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies
- If need be, act as a Leader to drive big efforts with other data scientists
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge of Hadoop related technologies such as HDFS, Azkaban, Oozie, Impala, Hive, and Pig
- Experience building high-quality end-to-end data solutions in an agile environment from requirements to production
- Be able to proactively handle prioritization of work and deliver work with great quality and influence the broader team in creating leverage
- Experience in mentoring junior team members technically
- Previous experience working with financial services data is a plus
- Knowledge of Finance Business processes and concepts
- Experience with Looker, Tableau or other business intelligence platforms
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.