6 River Systems (6RS) is a Shopify (SHOP) company leading the way to faster fulfillment. E-commerce has changed the world and our solutions power warehouses of the future. We’re revolutionizing warehouse automation with collaborative mobile robots and operate squarely at the intersection of increasingly-relevant industries.
We are looking for a Senior Engineer to join our Data Platform team. You will collaborate with product, engineering, devops, operations, and insights teams to build the next generation of 6RS data systems. Your work will impact many other engineers, help maintain a high degree of quality and reliability throughout data systems, and make fulfillment more efficient and data-driven. You will work with a growing team and have the opportunity to solve some of the most interesting data challenges.
If you are an experienced, self-directed engineer with a particular interest in data systems we want to hear from you.
- Help define and advance the 6RS data story, both culturally and technically.
- Build the next generation of self-service instrumentation, pipelining, warehousing, and discovery infrastructure that is highly leveraged and scales ahead of the business.
- Establish and evangelize best practices throughout our data systems.
- Partner with leadership, engineers, program managers, and data scientists to understand complex data challenges and solve data needs.
To succeed in this role you’ll need:
- Empathy and a laser focus on bettering the lives of your internal and external stakeholders
- A preference for automating tedious tasks
- A bias for action
- Advanced SQL knowledge
- Extensive experience with at least one programming language (Python, Go, Java, TypeScript, etc)
- Experience building, scaling, and optimizing cloud data warehouses (Google BigQuery, Snowflake, AWS Redshift, Azure Data Warehouse)
- Experience building and scaling stream-based data pipelines
- Experience building complex ETL or ELT systems using a workflow management engine (Airflow, Luigi, Cloud Composer, Prefect, Dagster)
Bonus points for:
- Experience or interest in robots and robotics platforms
- A desire to make systems only as complex as they need to be
- Experience with data modeling methodologies and associated toolsets
- Experience with data visualization or BI tools (Looker, Tableau, Metabase, Mode)
- Experience automating cloud infrastructure (AWS/GCP/Azure, Terraform, Ansible)
- A working knowledge of K8s
Why 6RS? Recognized by the Boston Globe as a Top Place to Work
- Entrepreneurial spirit of a start-up combined with the stability of a global commerce company
- Competitive compensation packages and Shopify RSUs
- Company-paid health, dental, and vision coverage for all employees
- Paid holidays, vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Annual 401k contribution from the company
- Lifestyle spending account
About 6 River Systems
Founded in Waltham, Massachusetts in 2015, 6 River Systems is a leading collaborative mobile robotics fulfilment solution and part of global commerce company Shopify. Founders Jerome Dubois and Rylan Hamilton were previously executives at Kiva Systems (now Amazon Robotics). The 6 River Systems solution is operating in more than 50 facilities in the U.S., Canada and Europe, fulfilling millions of units each week for companies including Lockheed Martin, CSAT Solutions, ACT Fulfillment, DHL, XPO Logistics, and Office Depot. To learn more, visit www.6river.com.
Shopify is a leading global commerce company, providing trusted tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business of any size. Shopify makes commerce better for everyone with a platform and services that are engineered for reliability, while delivering a better shopping experience for consumers everywhere. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify powers over one million businesses in more than 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, Staples, and many more. For more information, visit www.shopify.com.