Senior Data Engineer at GitLab
This position is 100% remote.
This role requires an analytical and business-oriented mindset with the ability to implement rigorous database solutions and best practices in order to produce and influence the adoption of strong quality data insights to drive business decisions in all areas of GitLab. Data Engineers are essentially software engineers who have a particular focus on data movement and orchestration.
Don’t have a ton of knowledge about GitLab yet? Don’t worry. We have an extensive onboarding and training program at GitLab and you will be provided with necessary DevOps and GitLab knowledge to fulfill your role.
Want to know more about the impact that the Data team is making? Watch this videoWhat you'll do in this role:
- Understand and implement data engineering best practices
- Improve, manage, and teach standards for code maintainability and performance in code submitted and reviewed
- Create smaller merge requests and issues by collaborating with stakeholders to reduce scope and focus on iteration
- Ship medium to large features independently
- Generate architecture recommendations and the ability to implement them
- Great communication: Regularly achieve consensus amongst teams
- Perform technical interviews
- 3-5 years minimum, hands-on experience deploying production quality code
- Professional experience using Python, Java, or Scala for data processing (Python preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience with data-related Python packages
- Demonstrably deep understanding of SQL and analytical data warehouses (Snowflake preferred)
- Hands-on experience implementing ETL (or ELT) best practices at scale.
- Hands-on experience with data pipeline tools (Airflow, Luigi, Azkaban, dbt)
- Strong data modeling skills and familiarity with the Kimball methodology.
- Experience with Salesforce, Zuora, Zendesk and Marketo as data sources and consuming data from SaaS application APIs.
- Share and work in accordance with our values
- Constantly improve product quality, security, and performance
- Desire to continually keep up with advancements in data engineering practices
- Catch bugs and style issues in code reviews
- Ship small features independently
- Successful completion of a background check
- Ability to use GitLab
- A shared interest in our values, and working in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.Hiring Process
To view the full job description and hiring process, please view our handbook. Additional details about our process can also be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
Please visit our Country Hiring Guidelines page to see where we can hire.