GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Senior Data Engineer is responsible for building and maintaining our Data Engineering systems that drive numerous business functions using near real-time data analytics solutions. This role has a core focus on improving performance and scalability of key Data Engineering systems that are essential for operating our advertising business.
Engineering team members at GumGum are encouraged to share ideas which can often influence system decisions. The person in this role will need to stay relevant and up to date with state-of-the-art technology. Reporting to our Engineering Manager, this role works as part of a team of engineers in the technology division of our Advertising business.
- Build, maintain, and improve our data infrastructure which currently handles billions of advertising events every hour
- Design and implement streaming and batch pipelines for data ingestion and delivery
- Curate a data warehouse for business and technical stakeholders
- Contribute to GumGum’s proprietary machine learning forecasting systems
- Develop scripts and APIs that serve internal and external reporting needs
- Investigate and test the capabilities of emerging data technologies
- Collaborate regularly with cross-functional teams
- Lead design for medium to large projects with feedback from other engineers - have an architectural perspective.
- Mentor a diverse team of junior and intermediate engineers, both remote and in our Santa Monica office
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- 4+ years of data engineering or software engineering required
- 4+ years building data applications in Scala, Java, and Python required
- Proficient with distributed data processing with Apache Spark
- Proficient with SQL and modern data warehouse platforms - Snowflake, Redshift, Big Query, or Synapse
- Proficient with workflow management platforms - Airflow, AWS Data Pipeline, Luigi, or Prefect
- Experience designing data models, warehouses, and ETL pipelines
- Experience working with streaming technologies is a plus
- 2+ years AWS experience required
- Strong communication skills to effectively collaborate with engineers, project managers, and business stakeholders
- Track record of showing initiative and leading difficult data projects
- Deliberate approach to exploring and testing new technologies
- Designs applications and systems with longevity in mind (e.g. scaling, maintenance, reuse, etc.)
- Able to consider and synthesize multiple perspectives and opinions when deciding direction of a project or feature
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Pet Friendly Organization - We love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Virtual company events and (optional) in-person celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/health/person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The Voice Coalition- Through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
- GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will re-open in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum expands globally! Our company recently acquired Just Premium, a European-based company that utilizes creatives as a means to develop digital environments. Just Premium’s rich media is one of the largest in the world, and brings forward higher performing ads that adds value to GumGum’s already thriving contextual intelligence. With this acquisition, we now have 375 + employees globally, as well as new market expansion including Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, and Mexico. Together we will become the most powerful global solution for a cookieless future through contextual technology and high-impact creatives.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum