Senior Blockchain Security Analyst - Asset Review at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Security is a primary competency at Coinbase, and the Security Team keeps a watchful eye over every aspect of it. Every day, we go to battle against some of the most sophisticated attackers in the world to protect billions of dollars worth of digital assets and ensure that our customers and employees can enjoy a safe, trusted experience. As Coinbase scales globally, our team is scaling along with it, using a blend of tooling, automation, and strategic team growth to ensure that we’re well-equipped to protect the next billion users of crypto.
The high level goal of a blockchain security asset review is to provide an overall measure of how risky a particular asset is, which requires identifying top risks and any mitigations that could reduce those risks. We ask ourselves: “What can go wrong with a digital asset, how will we know about it, and what can we do about it?”
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
The Blockchain Security Asset Review Team’s primary responsibility is determining the security risk and available mitigations for digital assets that are under consideration for addition to the Coinbase platform. While no two days will look the same, you’ll generally be responsible for the following:
- Analyzing blockchains, ERC-20 tokens, and other distributed ledger protocols for security concerns, such as these (https://blog.coinbase.com/securing-an-erc-20-token-for-launch-on-coinbase-68313652768f), facilitated by internal tooling and external research
- Investigating digital assets for methods to identify and mitigate risk
- Researching and analyzing blog posts and white papers related to digital assets
- Identify and report blockchain security risks
- Communicating with cross-functional teams to align on risk scorings and risk / mitigation presentation
- Contributing to improvements to Coinbase’s digital asset threat model
- Providing feedback for improvements to Coinbase’s internal tooling
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
Some security teams have strict requirements about certifications, degrees, years of experience, and things like that. Not us! We’re more interested in the unique perspectives and expertise you’ll bring to the team rather than the acronyms on your resume. However, you’ll be much more likely to be successful in this role if these points seem like a good description of you:
- You have minimum 5 years experience in cyber security topics like product security or application security, security operations, or technology operations
- You have a researcher mindset and appetite to understand how things work
- You have the unique ability to investigate a topic using white papers and blog posts
- You have the ability to understand technical architecture/design of systems and you have knowledge of at least one programming language
- You have an energy and drive for continuous learning, as Crypto is a constantly and rapidly changing space
- You have willingness to learn and apply processes unique to the challenges at Coinbase
- You frequently get praise from your peers and coworkers about your communication skills, both written and verbal
- You can translate complex findings and results into a concise and compelling narrative
- Hands on experience in vulnerability research, penetration testing or bug identification
- Hands on security code review experience in a wider array of languages
Nice to haves:
- You would bring a diverse perspective to the team: for example, maybe you took an unconventional route to get into your current Security career
- You have experience in crypto/blockchain technical writing, or at least a good story about how you thought about investing in Bitcoin in 2014 but decided not to
- Hands-on experience in Blockchain smart contract review
Req ID: G2097
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.