Senior Analyst, Pricing & Product at Pie Insurance (Remote)
The Pricing & Product Senior Analyst position is responsible for developing data and analytics that support the profit and loss of Pie’s workers compensation book of business. This role will closely monitor growth, pricing, and profitability metrics to help formulate and implement new strategies. The Pricing & Product Senior Analyst is also responsible for analyzing competitor behaviors and marketplace dynamics to ensure Pie’s competitiveness over time.How You’ll Do It
Gathering and manipulating data to make recommendations that lead towards desired business outcomes is the key to success for the Pricing & Product Senior Analyst position. Understanding intermediate actuarial concepts such as ratemaking, predictive modeling, and loss development is a requirement , as this knowledge will help inform pricing and appetite strategies. This position will work closely with field leadership in the formulation and implementation of countrywide and regional strategies through increased analysis on competitor behaviors, marketplace dynamics, and industry segmentation. You will also aid in streamlining existing reports and building reports to reduce redundancy and increase accuracy.Data Analytics, Data Manipulation
- Use online resources - such as competitor filings, subscriber services, and service offering tools - for gathering and developing information.
- Compare internal pricing against competitor pricing to determine market competitiveness.
- Analyze funnel metrics to identify underserved markets and industries for growth opportunities.
- Monitor portfolio performance as it relates to growth, retention, and profitability to make well informed pricing segmentation changes.
- Build, monitor, and distribute BI tools for Underwriting, Business Development, and Pricing leads that aid in goal tracking and execution.
- Write Snowflake/SQL queries to extract and manipulate data sets to achieve certain results.
- Participate in the ongoing development and documentation of all pricing and appetite related processes.
- Support ongoing process of filing new programs within individual states.
- Highlighting areas of concern and bringing forward to senior management for review.
- Effectively communicate information from large data sets and be able to explain the why behind the information.
- Directly supports the Underwriting, Business Development, and Pricing teams with data analysis and recommendations that support desired business outcomes
- Proactively identifies areas of opportunity as it relates to Pie’s internal rating engine, data warehouse, and BI reporting platform, and collaborates with necessary teams to implement enhancements.
- Assist in training, assimilating, and informally mentoring new team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required.
- Background in statistics, mathematics, economics, actuarial science or other quantitative major field of study is required.
- 5+ years of analytical work experience in the P&C commercial insurance industry, specifically workers compensation, is preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills are required (complex formulas, data linking, macro writing, pivot tables, ODBC connections).
- Intermediate knowledge of using Snowflake, SQL, or other data query tools (sourcing, relationships, derivations).
- Advanced skills in designing, implementing, and navigating reports in BI analytical tools such as Looker, Tableau, Anaplan, or Qlikview.
- Sense of creativity and strategic thinking about how analytics relate to business outcomes now and into the future.
- Problem solving skills to work through numerical issues with data sets.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and self starter.
- Likes variety and not repetition, but can build repetition in process for scalability purposes.
- Attention to detail and ability to perform reasonability checks.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to effectively present technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
Base compensation for position: $108,000 - $133,500
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO, including paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.Location Information
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.Additional Information
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.