The Scientist I supports the Product Development team by developing new metal oxide nanocrystals, performing nanocrystal surface modification, and the development and characterization of formulations using Pixelligent’s proprietary nanocrystals technology. The ideal candidate will have extensive expertise in synthesis and surface modification of metal oxide nanocrystals.
Duties & Responsibilities Include:
• Research and Development of metal oxide nanocrystal.
• Surface passivation of metal oxide nanocrystals.
• Works closely with an integrated team of scientists, engineers, technicians, and operators in a laboratory environment to support product development, research, experimentation, and documentation.
• Assists in analyses and preparation of chemical samples to support product manufacturing, certificate of analysis generation, product development, and research projects.
• Maintains and revises Standard Operating Procedures.
• Communicates in a timely and concise manner with management and other personnel on projects and updates.
• Evaluates performance data, using statistical methods when necessary, and communicating it to the internal team.
• Operation of equipment such as UV-Vis, viscometer, FTIR, spin coater, UV curing, slot-die coater, ink-jet printer and other scientific equipment, as needed.
• Develops a general knowledge or expertise in certain applications to introduce opportunities and expand our business.
• Prepares, reports, proposals, process specifications, and technical instructions.
• Ability to lead in analyses and preparation of chemical samples to support product manufacturing, certificate of analysis generation, product development and research projects.
• Advise support staff on processes and desired outcomes, trains staff on processes and required procedures;
• Supports customer requests.
• Maintaining a safe and organized laboratory.
• Assists with other projects and tasks as assigned.
- PhD degree in Chemistry or Materials Science with less than 2 years relevant work experience is desirable. Candidates with a MS degree in Chemistry or Materials Science with 2 years relevant work experience or BS degree with 4 years of relevant work experience will also be considered.
- Experience in nanomaterial synthesis, surface modification, dispersion, formulations and characterization.
- Experience working with polymers and formulations.
- Experience working with early stage product development.
Skills & Abilities
- Expertise with wet chemistry and standard organic chemistry processes.
- Able to work independently with very good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Exhibits good decision-making skills.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the company and external customers.
- Understanding of materials characterization techniques including UV-Vis, IR, TGA, particle size analysis DMA, DSC and viscometer.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Access.