Risk Analyst at Hippo Insurance
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Reporting to: Manager, Actuarial & Risk
Title: Risk Analyst
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that isn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
*P&C Insurance Experience is a must
You are creative, self-motivated, and eager to build solutions in a fast-paced startup environment. You have a strong understanding of the techniques utilized in the P&C insurance industry - and are eager to innovate on them. You have exposure to actuarial concepts and are curious about how to manage the risk of a diverse, growing property portfolio. You’re able to identify and balance solving the long-term vs. short-term goals of the company by leveraging data-driven results. You are a highly effective communicator and have the ability to define processes that are modern and robust.
- Understand the complexities of a fast growing, countrywide property insurance book of business, with various sources of risk capital.
- Optimize profitability of the overall book through individual risk segmentation, leveraging methods such as GLMs and predictive modeling
- Develop a comprehensive framework to review and diagnose frequency, severity, and loss cost trends both at a countrywide and state level.
- Collaborate closely with the data science team to create advanced predictive analytical solutions to actuarial and loss related problems.
- Evaluate concentration risk and understand business decisions using metrics such as cost of capital and risk diversification
- Work proactively and independently across functions to drive communication and education around loss ratio performance, risk-based targets, capital efficiency, and strategy
- Demonstrated project and/or people management and ability to deliver under tight timelines
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in the Homeowners line of business.
- Actuarial experience is a plus
- Expertise on actuarial and insurance concepts such as trends, indications, loss cost modeling, reserving and other key metrics.
- Strong research, statistical, analytical, and mathematical skills with ability to conduct analysis on limited and/or unstructured data.
- Professional experience using SQL or closely related database manipulation language
- Professional experience using R, Python, or closely related programming language
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must, but you will be autonomous and expected to succeed without heavy direction
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to understand the business
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.