The Render and Data Wrangler ensures the efficient functioning of the VFX Department’s rendering and data storage resources. They will be responsible for monitoring and controlling the rendering process, digital files, CG image quality control, and managing operations of a render farm for the VFX department during a deadline-driven feature production.
Full time. Please note that this position includes variable shift work.
Essential Job Functions
- In consultation with the VFX Production Management team, prioritize the render queue and appropriately allocate resources based on requirements to ensure that rendering schedules are met.
- Monitor rendering quality and quantity by assessing render submissions for optimizations, making corrections when needed, and troubleshoot any potential problems; consult Supervisors and Leads concerning approaches, issues, and solutions.
- Monitor render farm performance to ensure there are no technical or machine problems which might interfere with a successful output of VFX imagery. Respond to errors by diagnosing, identifying, and resolving, escalating as necessary.
- Work with other departments across the studio for movement, conversions, and distribution of assets and files.
- Inspect and confirm integrity of media before it leaves the department, including providing quality control (QC) for media intended for a wide audience.
- Monitor disk server status and estimate usage to ensure availability of disk resources; perform backups, archiving, cleanups, and restores.
- Actively engage in developing and refining the efficiencies of the rendering and data management pipelines through workflow structuring or scripting.
- Communicate with VFX Production Management, Supervisors, IT Manager, and Production Technology on hardware and software projections and issues.
- Prepare and run internal reviews including departmental reviews, production dailies, and screenings.
- 2+ years of experience as a render/data wrangler in a CG Animation / VFX environment.
- 1-2+ years knowledge of and experience in data management, data integrity, and naming conventions.
- Highly organized problem solver with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- A helpful, customer-service attitude coupled with the ability to multi-task and manage tight deadlines from multiple sources; ability to communicate in both a technical and artistic manner with various personality types.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required for communicating with the team, management, and other departments.
- Ability to switch contexts under pressure, transitioning amongst solo and collaborative tasks.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, open to direction, and responsive to changing production needs with calm professionalism.
- Ability to learn new software quickly, and learn on the job, if necessary.
- Basic technical understanding of digital workflows and terminology in a feature film environment; VFX/animation/post-production experience, a plus.
- Knowledgeable in LINUX / UNIX, Windows, and Mac environments.
- Preferred skills include scripting / programming in C, C++, Python, or similar languages, as well as basic familiarity with one or more key production software programs such as Maya, RenderMan, Nuke, Katana, or Houdini. Shotgrid, RV, and Hiero experience a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or moderate.
On-site in Hillsboro, OR
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please review our Employment Disclaimer and Materials Submission Agreement.