Principal Oracle Database Administrator at DAT
DAT is a next-generation SaaS technology company that has been at the leading edge of innovation in transportation supply chain logistics for 43 years. We continue to transform the industry year over year, by deploying a suite of software solutions to millions of customers every day - customers who depend on DAT for the most relevant data and most accurate insights to help them make smarter business decisions and run their companies more profitably. We operate the largest marketplace of its kind in North America, with 226 million freight posts in 2020, and a database of $126 billion of annual global shipment market transaction data. We have co-headquarters in Portland, OR and Denver, CO, and additional offices in MO, TX, and Bangalore, India. For additional information, see www.DAT.com/company.
DAT is looking for a Principal Oracle Database Administrator to join our team in Beaverton, Oregon.
This can be a fully remote, work from home opportunity. It is open to applicants who are full time residents of the following states: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MI, MN, MT, MO, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, UT, VT, WA, WI, WV.
This position can also work in-office if preferred, 2-3x/week. We have teams in both our Beaverton, Oregon and Denver, Colorado offices.
DAT’s industry dominant network of carriers, brokers and shippers makes our data an immensely valuable asset to the industry. As the principal Oracle database administrator, you would be responsible for the highly available, web-scale Oracle database infrastructure that powers our consumer facing web and mobile applications and provisions data downstream to our advanced data analytics capabilities and products.
As a Principal Oracle Database Administrator, you are a proven expert in building, monitoring, and tuning highly available, web-scale, Oracle database infrastructure supporting consumer facing web and mobile applications. As a principal, you will work across application and data teams with principal engineers, directors, product managers, and other senior leaders to communicate the Oracle database roadmap to ensure reliable and performant operation of our most critical databases. You will make the case for your recommendations for investment in database technology to ensure proper prioritization across teams.
You will set up monitoring processes and continuously review key metrics to look for opportunities to tune the database for optimal performance. You will lead various large-scale or highly complex data/database management activities, capacity planning efforts, developing database management policies, procedures/standards, and patching/upgrades of mission-critical systems. Finally, you will be a working member of the DBA team and mentor other Oracle DBAs to help them develop into experts as well.
What You’ll Do
- Function as an expert in Oracle and Oracle RAC for all necessary database systems.
- Build and continuously maintain an Oracle database architecture roadmap for our Oracle database capabilities, including
- High availability, disaster recovery planning, testing and execution
- Strategic approach to ransomware protection
- Capacity planning and forecasting of our database capabilities
- Coordinate and collaborate with Product Management, Principal Engineers, Architecture, and Engineering Directors ensuring our forward-looking strategies and roadmaps align.
- Lead reviews of database performance issues and tuning opportunities with all relevant stakeholders, including other DBAs, principal engineers, engineering managers, and engineering team leads to ensure that we are staying on top of our performance and reliability goals for the database infrastructure.
- Develop detailed technical architecture and specifications to be carried out in collaboration with other DBAs and engineers.
- Participate in bi-weekly on call DBA rotation
The Skills and Experience You’ll Bring
- Individuals with who are true experts will likely have a minimum of 10 years’ experience with web-scale, Oracle RAC solutions.
- Expert level, hands on experience with all aspects of Oracle RAC, including initial implementation and scaling out.
- Expert level hands on experience with in-depth Oracle performance tuning.
- Expert level proficiency with all methods of Oracle HA solutions, replication methods, and backups, including RAC, Data Guard, Active Data Guard, GoldenGate, and RMAN.
- Expert level proficiency in SQL, PL/SQL, and Unix/Linux shells.
- Expert level ability with documenting technical designs and architectures and communicating them with stakeholders.
- Expert level hands on knowledge of storage layer solutions
- Possess and display expert skills in the following areas: technical troubleshooting, customer service, communication.
- Knowledge of networking concepts and designs
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
(Colorado only) In accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the minimum salary for this role is $140,000.00 + benefits. The maximum compensation for this role can vary significantly depending on your job-related skills and experience.
DAT embraces the value of a diverse workforce, and believes it is a core strength of our company that we encourage those values in every DAT employee, at every level of our organization, regardless of tenure or rank. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)