Principal Engineer, Data at Kinship
WHO WE ARE
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. Why? Because our pets make us better humans, and we owe them the best possible care. As the premier partner to a new generation of pet parents, we use our data, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be. And we unite changemakers in pet care to break down barriers, open new doors, share insights, and advance our collective knowledge. All so we can reimagine the pet parenting experience, up people’s confidence, and help the world find better ways to care.
Kinship is a coalition that includes:
- Adopt-a-Pet, the destination for finding homes for homeless pets; we help animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies connect their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month
- Our world-leading Wisdom Panel™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs
- The award-winning Whistle™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor
- Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights
- VETINSIGHT™ which gives modern pet parents the veterinary and wellness guidance needed to make smarter, more informed health decision for their pets.
- The Wildest, the destination that helps pet parents keep their cool in the wild world of pet parenting
- GoodFriend, our recently-launched marketplace for all your pet’s people
- PetStory, our platform that curates top services for pet parents in Russia
- FluffyGo, the mobile-first platform is a one-stop solution for science-minded pet parents in China
- LEAP VENTURE STUDIO, our accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents
Together, these teams and more work to set new standards in pet care. And, as a part of Mars Petcare, they work to create a better world for pets. Learn more at www.kinship.co.
OUR DATA & ANALYTICS TEAM
The Kinship Data Engineering & Analytics is a multifaceted team with global impact on the Kinship businesses. This team, a growing mixture of engineering, analytics, and data science talent, collaborate with a variety of departments to drive decisions and provide direction for future growth for Kinship. The mission of our team is to democratize data and provide a cost-efficient, observable and reliable data platform that empowers and enables decentralized teams to generate actionable insights and product features.
As the Principal Engineer, you will be responsible for crucial services for other data engineers, analysts, and data scientists on our data platform. You will shape the data journey and guide the infrastructure and tooling that enables them to produce, consume and share data effectively and securely within all our organization.
Our current technical landscape is complex, and with your help we want to streamline and simplify! We are looking for candidates who are accustomed to managing billions of records, sourced from 20+ source systems based on multiple technologies. You have experience building/redesigning a data platform from the ground up, balancing up sustainability, extensibility, performance, cost, governance and fitness for purpose.
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
- Have platform-wide technical oversight of data engineering implementation in a cloud environment using a progressive tech stack
- Consolidation of design, engineering frameworks and technology choices across multiple projects and teams on the Kinship Data Platform
- Provide the very highest level of advisory and hands-on technical expertise within the engineering team, producing valuable data assets on pets and pet-owners
- Build rapport with technical leaders and engineers across Kinship and Mars Petcare, acting as a highly approachable enabler of technical innovation
- Use analysis and best judgement based on a breadth of technical experience to make critical & high-quality decisions on solution design and architecture
- Enthusiastically promote development of team expertise in new technologies and techniques across the platform
- Oversee and take accountability for DataOps methodologies across the platform
- Provide innovative solution expertise across a complex tech stack including big data processing, data modelling, web apps, visualisations, API's and a diverse range of data storage technologies
- Coach and mentor engineers across the engineering team to build a data culture.
THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All. And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- You Have Courage: a willingness to bring forth a new idea, engaging others across Kinship to support you, and taking risks and action will full accountability
- You Learn at Pace: a consistent and fast work ethic to meet growth goals, and the ability to evolve and pivot quickly from what you’ve learned
- You Value Difference: a genuine belief in inclusion and diversity is in your DNA, and it shows up in your work, and how you work.
- 12+ years of experience in data engineering and data infrastructure
- Experience in a cloud environment like AWS and with tools like Kubernetes, Kafka, FiveTran, Airflow, Glue, Athena and Data Lake Formation.
- Expert knowledge in Python, PySpark, SQL
- Comfort and experience working with a diverse range of data storage technologies e.g. Data lake storage, document store DB, Graph DB, RDMS
- Experience designing and building API's
- Highly experienced in building end to end data pipeline/ETL/ELT solutions
- Comfortable picking up new technologies and programming languages without assistance
- Proven ability to mobilise others and lead technical change and innovation
- Highly experienced in practices of DevOps and CICD including within a data platform
- Expert knowledge of the contemporary data engineering and analytics landscape, the current tools, the pertinent approaches and the likely challenges
- Capacity and enthusiasm for mentoring and coaching engineers of varying experience
NICE TO HAVE:
- Expertise designing and developing web applications
- Experience working with Enterprise Architecture practices for a large global organization
- Graph database technologies (e.g. Neo4J / Cypher)
- Experience using Azure · Delta Lake storage layer
- Data visualisation tools e.g. Looker, Tableau, etc
JOIN OUR PROS!
- Unique opportunities for a customizable career within pet care
- A super collaborative, flat work environment with direct access to our senior leadership team
- Work from the hottest cities across the world
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work opportunities
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- Welcome kits with pet merch & Kinship swag
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship